Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Enterprise 7/15 don't believe the counts.

Default Enterprise 7/15 don't believe the counts.

Went out of Pierpoint landing today. Usually this is a really good boat, and Captain Andy is usually very good about searching for fish and does his best to get everyone fish in the bag. Today however, was not the case. As we left harbor I was very disappointed to find out we were going to Catalina. 6 and 1/2 hours of driving, and 3/12 hours of fishing is not a good deal in my opinion, but it could be worth it if the fishing is good. Not today. The current was unusually strong and nobody was saying anything about following your lines. This resulted in some unbelievable line tangles. Fishing was definitely off on this spot, and we never moved!! Very strange for Andy. The crew was also terrible. They never chummed because they were afraid we would run out of bait. Also, I am still unsure if the "deckhands" were actual employees or just regulars who were there helping out because they spent the majority of their time fishing and not helping the paying customers. The big cook was downright rude and obviously annoyed when we asked him to do his job and stop playing poker with the "deckhands".
    Now, I would be ok with not catching fish, I know that's how it goes sometimes. If it were just the fishing aspect I wouldn't have posted anything. But when I read the fish LIE errr count when I got home I got pissed. The count said 28 yellowtail, more like 10 tops. 53 Calicos, doubtful and only if you count all the short bass thrown back. 8 cuda, again only if you count the shorties thrown back, and 87 bonito. No way. Maybe at best 40. With 60 anglers, with all catches combined, we had less than a fish per rod. I know i didn't see all the fish caught but I did survey all the bags on deck, and they were mostly empty.
    Let me repeat, this is usually a very good boat. But if this was my first time at this location, I would never go back.

And, this is why I hardly fish PBers anymore. You pay some decent $$$ for a trip that should, ideally, put you on some fish. In addition, you shouldn't have to be on a boat where a customer isn't treated right. Anyways, that sucks dude. I hope you caught one of those yellowtail.

Used to fish the Enterprise 2 or 3 times a month for more than 8 years. Stopped fishing it last year and have not been out on it once this year. Why? Because who wants to fish a boat that has 60 or 80 passengers, 2/3 of whom don't know how to fish and have the wrong equipment. I would rather pay more and fish out of SD on a lighter load boat. Much more likely to catch and land something without losing the fish in a massive tangle. Also, when you do catch a YT or tuna it will not be sitting in a bag in the hot sun, ruining the fish for sushi. I personally liked the deck hands and cook on the Enterprise, but they give almost no instruction to newbies. I also don't like drifting such that everyone ends up in the stern. Boat should be set up so that everyone drops off the corner of the stern and follows their bait to the bow where they wind it in and get another bait. The Enterprise with Andy at the helm is great for rockfishing, but anyone who fishes the boat for YT and tuna is asking for a frustrating experience. When the fishing turns bad and the load drops to 20 passengers, I will fish it again.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    I'd like to put my 2 cents in on this one. I too was at Catalina the same day you were, but on a different boat. My dear friend was on the Enterprise the day before you rode her, so I sort of know what was going on with the fishing. A couple of corrections should be noted, the Enterprise runs out of Marina sport fishing not Pierpoint landing. As far as the fishing goes, I'm amazed at how many people get on a boat and have no idea at what's going on!!! The local fishing at the Horseshoe kelp is crap!!!!!!! After the big bite on those Yellowtail at the 150 spot dried up, the only thing left locally is Scupin and Rockfish!!!!! They occasionaly will get a few Barracuda and Bass and the odd Yellowtail but that's it. Catalina Island is the new norm for all 3/4 day boats. So your surprise at going to Catalina means you have done no research at all before getting on the boat. I don't think a 3/4 day boat from San Pedro to Long Beach has fished locally in over 2 weeks!! !!!!!! What you didn't grasp is what happened the day before on the Enterprise. My friend told me after having a fair fishing day at Catalina Island, on the way coming home what they saw was unbelievable!!!!!! They first hit a Kelp Patty that was loaded with Slug Yellowtail, unfortunately they had no live bait left and they couldn't get any of those Yellowtail to bite. Then they came up on Acres and Acres of boiling tuna and THEY HAD NO LIVE BAIT!!!!! So what Capt Andy did was cover his arse, he was first going to fish Catalina Island for some fish and then try to hit a Home Run on some tuna coming home. Unfortunately the tuna were a no show yesterday!!!! Hence a mediocre trip!!!! I was at Catalina yesterday also, that current was ripping all over the Island and hurting the fishing for all the boats. That's why they call it fishing!!!!!!!
    Good Reply... It's amazing to have a great forum like this to see the view from both sides. If what you wrote is the case, what the captain should have done, is take 1 minute before launching and go over the game plan of the day. Fish catalina, then save bait for a possible epic bite. it would pump the boat up and if nothing hits oh wells.

You can never trust the reports out of the LA boats from my experience as they count everything, regardless of size. And sometimes pad the numbers. Take the counts with a grain of salt. I tend to trust the SD counts a bit more, but even they tend to exaggerate. It's the game they all play, unfortuante.

If one boat had honest counts but ended up being half of everyone elses's fake numbers, it's hard to stay in business as most of the people on these boats rarely fish and all they do is take a quick look at the counts

I'd like to put my 2 cents in on this one. I too was at Catalina the same day you were, but on a different boat. My dear friend was on the Enterprise the day before you rode her, so I sort of know what was going on with the fishing. A couple of corrections should be noted, the Enterprise runs out of Marina sport fishing not Pierpoint landing. As far as the fishing goes, I'm amazed at how many people get on a boat and have no idea at what's going on!!! The local fishing at the Horseshoe kelp is crap!!!!!!! After the big bite on those Yellowtail at the 150 spot dried up, the only thing left locally is Scupin and Rockfish!!!!! They occasionaly will get a few Barracuda and Bass and the odd Yellowtail but that's it. Catalina Island is the new norm for all 3/4 day boats. So your surprise at going to Catalina means you have done no research at all before getting on the boat. I don't think a 3/4 day boat from San Pedro to Long Beach has fished locally in over 2 weeks!! !!!!!! What you didn't grasp is what happened the day before on the Enterprise. My friend told me after having a fair fishing day at Catalina Island, on the way coming home what they saw was unbelievable!!!!!! They first hit a Kelp Patty that was loaded with Slug Yellowtail, unfortunately they had no live bait left and they couldn't get any of those Yellowtail to bite. Then they came up on Acres and Acres of boiling tuna and THEY HAD NO LIVE BAIT!!!!! So what Capt Andy did on your trip was cover his arse, he was first going to fish Catalina Island for some fish and then try to hit a Home Run on some tuna coming home. Unfortunately the tuna were a no show yesterday!!!! Hence a mediocre trip!!!! I was at Catalina yesterday also, that current was ripping all over the Island and hurting the fishing for all the boats. That's why they call it fishing!!!!!!!

@etucker
    Yes I know where the Enterprise runs out of since I was on the boat. However, Marina landing operates under the Pierpoint umbrella. I do know what allegedly happened the day before on the boat. Acres and Acres of boiling Bluefin.........AAAAAARRRRRBBBBTTTTTT hahahaha. Almost said that without laughing. Boiling Bluefin in an area the size of a football field. Check that, football fields. Come on. What is this Blue Planet on Discovery channel? hahaha
    But I digress. What you failed to grasp is the point of my posting (and the point of this entire website) is to give others an accurate report of my fishing experience.
    1. The Enterprise is currently operating (at least on Wednesday) without deck hands.
    2. The fish count posted by the landing is triple what was actually caught.
    3. There is no 3.
    that is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwgn09 View Post
    @etucker
    Yes I know where the Enterprise runs out of since I was on the boat. However, Marina landing operates under the Pierpoint umbrella. I do know what allegedly happened the day before on the boat. Acres and Acres of boiling Bluefin.........AAAAAARRRRRBBBBTTTTTT hahahaha. Almost said that without laughing. Boiling Bluefin in an area the size of a football field. Check that, football fields. Come on. What is this Blue Planet on Discovery channel? hahaha
    But I digress. What you failed to grasp is the point of my posting (and the point of this entire website) is to give others an accurate report of my fishing experience.
    1. The Enterprise is currently operating (at least on Wednesday) without deck hands.
    2. The fish count posted by the landing is triple what was actually caught.
    3. There is no 3.
    that is all.
    I love to post on here because I like to help people learn about fishing. I brought up the Enterprise not leaving from Pierpoint Landing because I didn't want some newbie wanting to go on the Enterprise and end up driving to the wrong landing!!!! lol I do have to address your skepticisms about the Acres and Acres of Bluefin Tuna that were up boiling around Tuesday afternoon. For this we need a neutral party. Any volunteers out there!!!!!!!! My friend who was on the Enterprise described them to me as Acres and Acres of boiling Tuna. But that's not good enough!!!! Otherwise there would be no doubt that Bigfoot and little Green Men actually exist!!!! lol Are volunteer needs to be a little more computer savvy then the OP. I say that because no one in their right mind should ever jump on any sportfishing boat without checking 976-tuna first. Are volunteer needs to pull up the 976-tuna web page and scroll down and get to page 3. Once he's on page 3 go to the Southern Cal thread. It's dated Tuesday of this week, play it and see if Mitch the captain describes on his afternoon run seeing tons and tons of tuna out there!!! These would be the same boiling tuna my friend allegedly saw on the Enterprise coming home.
    Any one out there willingly to look it up for us!!!!!!! Don't be shy!!!!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 07-16-2015 at 05:30 PM.

Wow,,sorry to hear about your trip,also sad about the inflated counts,I used to fish party boats quite often years ago,with skippers like,Paul Strauser,Mark Pisano,John Dipley,Rick Ofinger,Norris Tapp,of course, many of them are still fishing it just seemed different years ago,or maybe I was just younger and more tolerant,the only way I would do it now,is on a limited load,or private charter ie six pack,so glad to have owened my own skiff for years now,sure wish you better results next time out!

Cya Tuna Vic

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    I love to post on here because I like to help people learn about fishing. I brought up the Enterprise not leaving from Pierpoint Landing because I didn't want some newbie wanting to go on the Enterprise and end up driving to the wrong landing!!!! lol I do have to address your skepticisms about the Acres and Acres of Bluefin Tuna that were up boiling around Tuesday afternoon. For this we need a neutral party. Any volunteers out there!!!!!!!! My friend who was on the Enterprise described them to me as Acres and Acres of boiling Tuna. But that's not good enough!!!! Otherwise there would be no doubt that Bigfoot and little Green Men actually exist!!!! lol Are volunteer needs to be a little more computer savvy then the OP. I say that because no one in their right mind should ever jump on any sportfishing boat without checking 976-tuna first. Are volunteer needs to pull up the 976-tuna web page and scroll down and get to page 3. Once he's on page 3 go to the Southern Cal thread. It's dated Tuesday of this week, play it and see if Mitch the captain describes on his afternoon run seeing tons and tons of tuna out there!!! These would be the same boiling tuna my friend allegedly saw on the Enterprise coming home.
    Any one out there willingly to look it up for us!!!!!!! Don't be shy!!!!!!
    Let's also address your number 2. complaint. The fish count was grossly exaggerated!!!! It probably was!!!!! The solution is to cross check his numbers against all the other 3/4 day boats fishing Catalina Island that day. In that way you can get a better feel of what was happening out there that day. Don't just take one boats word for it, check the whole fleet!!!! After writing this I realized you didn't check anybody's numbers before you got on the boat. Otherwise you would have know that all the 3/4 day boats were going to fish Catalina Island!!!! So your argument against the exaggerated fish counts is a moot point!!!! Most people who are angry about false fish numbers, feel they were tricked into going on that boat. But since you didn't do your due diligence before you jumped on the boat, isn't the person your really mad at is yourself.

I just got back from one of my favorite tackle stores and I brought up your concerns. One of the sales person who goes on the Enterprise all the time, agreed that the deckhand issue on the boat as been an on going concern for a while. The question I then ask anyone else out there, "what's a better 3/4 day boat then the Enterprise?" There isn't one, even with the deckhand issue!!! If you think you've got a better 3/4 boat to gone on, I'd like to know who you think it is?????? lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 07-16-2015 at 07:39 PM.

Etucker might have been exaggerating a little on acres and acres of tuna but not by much. You obviously haven't been paying attention to the fishing in the last few months. There are more tuna out there right now then aver before. Tons of guys have caught tuna from kayaks within 2 miles from la jolla to Newport. And the enterprise has had a lot of extremely bad reviews recently. Personally I don't know why people would ever go fishing on a boAt that is not limited load. Pay a little extra and go with way less people who know how to fish

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast