Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Enterprise 7/15 don't believe the counts.

nickel and diming? this is how they make a living and feed their families. A deckhands wage is not nearly enough and the majority of their income is from tips. So by you saying you don't tip them and bragging about it is the first problem. You go buddy!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by halikilla View Post
    nickel and diming? this is how they make a living and feed their families. A deckhands wage is not nearly enough and the majority of their income is from tips. So by you saying you don't tip them and bragging about it is the first problem. You go buddy!!!!
    I just love first posts by people. I'm going tomorrow where it's $10 a Yellowtail to clean. They caught 40 Yellowtail today plus other fish, two deckhands plus Jackpot share. (they had 59 people on the morning run) Plus tips and what ever the boat paid them. Those 2 deckhand did ok today!!!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 07-27-2015 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    I just love first posts by people. I'm going tomorrow where it's $10 a Yellowtail to clean. They caught 40 Yellowtail today plus other fish, two deckhands plus Jackpot share. (they had 59 people on the morning run) Plus tips and what ever the boat paid them. Those 2 deckhand did ok today!!!!!
    And in reality, probably only 15-20 of those yellows are going to be cleaned, out of those 59 people probaly only 15 of those people will tip $5-10, a roughly $3/hour wage, and a hope that the guy won't take the Jackpot home. The majority of the crowd going out today won't tip or pay to have their fish cleaned. Just the way it is these days.

Personally I like to fillet my own fish. I don't care much for the hack job. On the other hand, I do tip well on the boats. I almost always get a handshake when I drop money in the tip jar. And I'm not talking about $5-$10 either... Lol.
    Last edited by jaggerbub; 07-29-2015 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaggerbub View Post
    Personally I like to fillet my own fish. I don't care much for the hack job. On the other hand, I do tip well on the boats. I almost always get a handshake when I drop money in the tip jar. And I'm not talking about $5-$10 either... Lol.
    I agree with you on taking the fish home whole! There's just something about doing everything exactly the way you like it. It just sucks to do after a long day! It just irks me when I see people saying that they'll take care of the deckhands, and then give them $10 bucks on a $8 fish cleaning tab, and feel like they hooked the deckhands up.

Hey Guys,

I'm fairly new to party boat fishing scene, and just want to get your thoughts on what's the "norm" tipping courtesy for the deckhands. Is $20-$30 decent tip for a overnighter?

Also, how much do you kick back to the deckies for a JP win....(in case some day I ever get one...haha )

Quote Originally Posted by Kongo10 View Post
    Hey Guys,

I'm fairly new to party boat fishing scene, and just want to get your thoughts on what's the "norm" tipping courtesy for the deckhands. Is $20-$30 decent tip for a overnighter?

Also, how much do you kick back to the deckies for a JP win....(in case some day I ever get one...haha )
    I'd say about $20 for a 3/4 day, $40 for an overnighter, but this is all dependant on how you feel the crew worked, (not how the fishing was btw)
    Also, its customary to give all of the jackpot to the crew, and they'll give you a # of passes that roughly equal the value of the jackpot.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyBoy View Post
    I'd say about $20 for a 3/4 day, $40 for an overnighter, but this is all dependant on how you feel the crew worked, (not how the fishing was btw)
    Also, its customary to give all of the jackpot to the crew, and they'll give you a # of passes that roughly equal the value of the jackpot.
    This. My friend hit jackpot on the enterprise on a full boat and got 3 free passes.

Hmm, glad I didn't win the jackpot the one time I went (think i got 2nd). I'd have pocketed that after buying a beer. Lots of people don't like paying one price for something and then there being lots of additional fees and rules they stick you with and then them making announcements guilting you into a tip (I gave like $5 in spite of deckhands shoving into my personal space and casting in my area). Seems a little shady like buying a car to a lot of people. The American service economy is distasteful to people. I have no problem paying more to go fishing. Just don't sell the ticket for $25 and then bait and switch on me because you don't pay your employees enough. I realize that it incentivizes the deckhands to work harder but that all goes out the door when you start guilting people about how little they make etc. Like i'm in a strip bar or something (don't like tipping there either, i paid to get in and your drinks are overpriced and i'm not sitting at the stage so i'm not tipping) hearing the DJ go on about tips. Any places out there that hire deckhands that are there solely to assist, don't ask for tips, allow you to bring a cooler with beer and not too crowded? I'll pay the equivalent or even more not to put up with that BS. Been fishing in other countries (Sagami Bay off Tokyo for one) and you can bring whatever aboard (food and beer) and they weren't bugging you about tips all day.
    Last edited by georgia_brown; 08-04-2015 at 12:04 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123