Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Ocean Odyssey 7/10-12/15 LIMITS STYLE! PIC HEAVY + VIDEOS!!

Default Ocean Odyssey 7/10-12/15 LIMITS STYLE! PIC HEAVY + VIDEOS!!

WHATS UP FNN!!!

After a couple days of re cooping here is the report!

PRE OP:
    A bunch of friends and some family had all been wanting to get on a trip together so we all came together and decided the double O would be a good boat to get on. I had never been on it but a bunch of them have and had tons of good things to say about captain rick and the crew. We planned this trip before the fred hall show and were all just waiting for the time to come.

As time goes on the counts were getting better the fish were starting to bite and the trip was in 2 weeks. We all were ready to just get out there and have a blast. There was a total of about 20 of us who booked it and were so stoked just to all get out there at the same time.

THE DAY OF:
    Woke up maybe after 5 hours of toss and turning sleep from being so anxious to already to go. We were calling each other to see who was leaving when and who is bringing what. I got all my gear ready and packed everything I had just to make sure if my brother or his wife needed anything I had it ready to go. The drive down was not the best a total of 3 hours for me and that was going non stop from Santa Monica (Pee'd in Gatorade bottle so i wouldn't have to stop not a easy task) the traffic cleared up towards the end and I arrived. My bro and his wife met with the group and were all hanging when i got there. Parking was a mission i gave it about a hour and decided to park at the hotel across the street. After parking moved all the gear from my car to my cousin's truck and hung out for a while. We all crabbed a bite to eat and headed down to check in.

OPERATION EXPLORE AND KILL:
    Weather:
    5-10 knots of wind throughout the day
    average 2-3ft swells nice and spread out
    Air temp was nice and warm
    Water temp around 68-70

At check in Captain Rick was down in the galley greeting everyone and asked what we would like to do. We could either fish with the other 150+ boats that would be out there on Saturday or go and explore. We all decided screw it lets go find our own fish and kill something fresh. Everyone loaded out and we left with 28 people on board ready to all kill fish. We headed to the bait barge and loaded up on some nice bait for about a hour and off we went. At around 10:30 everyone decided it was time to catch some ZZZZZzzZz's and we were out. Captain told us we would start trolling around 5 and we were all up ready to go. Had a nice muffin and some fruit to get the day started and kicked off the troll rotation. In the beginning we searched for around a hour till we found our first kelp. The first kelp produced a couple nice 25-30 pound Yellowtail and that was it. On the hunt again for about another 30min and this time we found a BIG kelp which was loaded to the brim with Yellowtail. We made the stop brailed some bait and killed for the next 1 1/2 hours. All the Yellowtail that came off this patty were around 25-40 pounds with around 4-5 that were in the 10-15 pound range. It was a pure massacre on this stop we killed 60+ off it. We drifted pretty far off and saw some Porpoise doing what they do best and decided to go chase them. We set the troll rods out and first stop on them we get a triple plus a bait fish. We reset quickly and were on them again with another 7 fish the second stop. We did this for about 2 hours and the last two stops the fish came right up the chum line and GOT SLAUGHTERED!! Between the 7 stops we did I personally killed 10 all on the flat fall jig either on the slide or right under the boat. The last stop went so open that I got 4 within about 20min all on the jig. At this point we hit limits for all passengers on the boat. We were all fired up and it was truly a bloody deck. At this point we decided to go back and find some more kelps near the first one. While searching the Porpoise decided to find us and we punched out the crew+captains limit of Yellowfin all on jigs. After completely filling the boat with MAX Yellowfin limits we found another golden patty and punched her wide open for another 60+ Yellowtail ALL HUGE!!! At this point majority of us are just pure amazed of the turn out of the trip. We decided to start heading towards the barn. As were going we see one more kelp which once again we busted right open finishing the limits for Yellowtail plus some Dorado!!!! At this point the fish hold was completely filled and we called it quits we Left the fish biting to see another day. The DAY OF LIMITS STYLE FISHING!!! We could of easily punched 2 day limits for Dorado, Yellowfin, and Yellowtail.

POST OP:
    This trip will always be remembered. Always wanted to be on the trip where you could say "Yeah we were the first to find them open down south". I totaled 21 fish mix bag of yellowfin, yellowtail, and dorado. Thank you Captain Rick and crew for a amazing trip. The food was out standing even though every time every meal was down we busted into a wide open bite ha. The group of people on this trip were all awesome everyone got along and had no problems. Definitely will be booking the same trip for next year. It was great fishing with everyone Thank you all!!

Someone will ask what worked?
    25-40lb test line
    Any jigs
    Size 1/0-4/0 hooks
    Pretty much everything and anything worked!!

If anyone was on this trip feel free to piggy back and add photos+report!!!!

Here is all the photo's that i currently have please if anyone was on this trip add on!!!

THANK YOU ALL FOR READING AND HOPE YOU ENJOY THE PHOTOS AND VIDEOS MORE WILL BE ADDED OVER THE NEXT DAY!

Here are some videos made by friends on the trip!!
    More to Come later!

Made by Chris M.

Made by Blake B. (BlakeB) The Fish Murder Scene

Made by Diego G. (Prowler_Tuber)

Wow love the vids Congrats to the whole crew

Thank you!

TRAIL BLAZER

Sick report Bro and absolutely EPIC.

Thumbs up

Fantastic trip and report to match!

What a workout for all on that trip,love the pic of the angler knee deep in quality fish,awesome videos too,thanks!

Cya Tuna Vic

That's my favorite boat in SD... Captain Rick and his crew are the best at what they do. Can't wait for my trip coming up!

Oh and congrats on a great trip to you and your group Blakeb

AAWESOMENESS TO THE MAXXXX!!!
    WAY TO GO OUT THERE LADIES AND GENTS....LOVED THE VIDEO ON EVERYONE GETTING THEIR LIMITS ON ONE HELL OF A TRIP THAT WILL NEVER BE ERASED FROM YOUR MINDS.

awesome report. just love those types of outcomes. experienced it a few times though never on this boat. thanx for sharing

Sweet trip Blake, Congrats
    Roberrt
    <><