Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SWAT on board the Kolo 7-12-15

Default SWAT on board the Kolo 7-12-15

I get a text from the commander, Wingnut (Arthur), to see if I wanted to jump on board the Kolo with Captain Jeff and I said hell yes. Murrieta Angler (Robert) would be joining us as well. Our mission this time was to chase the tuna even though the last time Arthur, Binh, and Quang slayed the YT big time.

Arthur picked me up in his tank at 3AM and off we went and got to the dock around 445AM. We loaded up all our gear on to the boat and picked up some nice dines at the barge. As we left the harbor we saw good signs with large pods of dolphins everywhere and floating paddies. Threw out some troll rigs to see if we could get one to bite and drove around some paddies. We had no luck there so we started to flyline some sardines. First paddy came up empty even though there were pods of dolphins near by. The second paddy, Arthur hooks up and then Jeff hooks up as well.

Arthur and Jeff are on opposite sides of the boat but Jeff's fish ends up popping off because of a line break. The line somehow criss-crossed with Arthur's and Arthur even saw the big yellowtail swim away. Arthur ends up horsing his fish in and up comes a nice 25lb bluefin!

We all end up throwing some more dines out to see if we could get another and my long soak ends up getting bit. It's been awhile since I fought a tuna but I take my time so I don't pull the hook. The guys were teasing me and wondering what was taking me so long to get the fish up . I finally got some colors and the tuna started it's death circle. Arthur gaffs the fish and I got a nice 28lb bluefin .

We hopped to some more paddies but had no luck and nothing would bite on the troll. Fishing could have been better but it could have been worse too. I had a great time with the guys and thank you to Jeff for letting me hop on the boat and filleting the fish for us.

Robert: It was great seeing you again and catching up. That big one is out there waiting for you . Next time, I'll be working out these office muscles so I'm ready.

Arthur: Thanks for the invite and ride. I love the tank but I don't like the MPG . Good times as always.

Jeff: Thanks for being a gracious host and opportunity to fish on a great boat.

Before Launch

Catching Up on the way out of the Harbor

Umm.. Jerky anybody?

Arthur with the First Bluefin Tuna of the season on the Kolo.

Me Hooked up

Finally! Exhausted..

Captain filleting the Fish

Back on land and kind of sunburned

Extra Bonus Pics running into Arthur on the sand a few weeks ago.

Tuna Crabs Everywhere!!
    Last edited by PTN; 07-13-2015 at 10:37 PM.

Looks like the Tuna action is starting to heat up out there. Jeff always find the fish.
    Hopefully I can pry myself away from work and join you guys out there soon.

Red face

Hey Peter, when you hooked up to that Bluefin, I went down to the bunks and took a nap. I woke up an hour later and gaffed your fish.

Roberto, it was great fishing with you again my friend. Stay busy and let's do it again soon...

Jeff, as always, you're on top of your game. Can't wait until we head back out again. Good luck tomorrow!

Very nice guys,those were great pics the fun,friendliness and results of your trips are always evident in your reports and pictures!
    Thanks for that,keep it up!

Cya Tuna Vic

Great fish report, Boy are things heating up in the ocean makes me wish I was a saltwater guy, I am envious.

Awesome catch guys. The blackened tuna last night was out of this world. Get ready for loads more soon. El Nino is coming!!!

Did you guys launch out of SD again or DP this time? I might be headed to DP this weekend for a try. congrats guys!

Nice hogs you guys landed.

Peter,
    Thanks for putting up a report.
    It was good seeing you and congrats on your first, of many, BFT this year.

Arthur,
    Thank you for the invite, especially since my other trip canceled.
    Nice BFT and I'm glad you nailed one.

Jeff,
    Thanks for letting me fish your boat and I look forward to the next one.

Maybe I'll get a bite next time....

Have a great week guys & God Bless,
    Robert
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by flyhigh123 View Post
    Did you guys launch out of SD again or DP this time? I might be headed to DP this weekend for a try. congrats guys!

Shelter Island and headed West of the point.
    Robert
    <><

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast