Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7/9 Back in the saddle again

Default 7/9 Back in the saddle again

Odd front moving through today. Windy and cold. Between that and the recent bluestone which knocked down most of the frog throwing areas the LMB bite was kinda tough. Stripers are starting to chase bait so I did pretty well throwing lures early and hit some trolling later. However, they were all the 1lb class. I think when things warm back up the shad will come back out of the depths. As for LMB, the water is now gin clear with less cover than before so they are finicky. I wasn't armed for dropshotting or finesse so missed that bite.

Glad you got your boat back and could get on some fish! Weird weather for sure out here, but I'm not complaining...

Thought I'd add a couple odd sightings. Fishing the fast whitewater at the inlet I hooked into a nice fish. The thing did a nice aerial at which time I could see its green body. I thought LMB or big hold over trout. Landed a nice 3 pound green striper! Later I found one of the few remaining moss patches and snuck up to quietly throw my frog. On the outskirts there was a pretty large turtle periscoping his head around. You don't see turtles at Skinner everyday.

PAW, Never heard of a green striper. Is it a hybrid of some type?

Thanks por the report PAW. I always look for your posts. I know its not your usual target but have you heard any buzz about the bluegill yet this year?

Mizukry, I kinda doubt it's a hybrid. The only difference is in the color not a shape or fin arrangement change. Jim, I have spoken to a few guys who caught some nice gills. Not wide open but they are there to be had. They have been caught from 2 feet deep to 50 feet.

I saw a guy dump turtles in the lake when I was launching a couple weeks ago.

Bill and I saw a huge Turtle crawling on the bottom a few weeks ago. Has the water level risen at all? It looked to be about 10-12' down last Tuesday. I couldn't believe how much bait we metered last week, reminded me of DVL in it's better days. Some had lots of big marks chasing it while other, much larger and denser bait clouds went unmolested. LMB are definitely in their typical summer grind pattern but some nice models are to be had if you grind it out...

Thanks for the report Pat.

Water is the same level as 2 weeks ago with the inlet running pretty hard. Tons of bait. By November the stripers should be really chunky. The whole fishery is doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by P.A.W. View Post
    Water is the same level as 2 weeks ago with the inlet running pretty hard. Tons of bait. By November the stripers should be really chunky. The whole fishery is doing well.
    Amazing how much water gets pulled out when you see how much is coming in isn't it? I agree, she is a very healthy lake, my elbow is proof positive, lol. Wifey has been requesting some stripey filets so I guess I'm gonna have to break out the stripey rigs and convince Bill it's in our best interests to honor her requests, lol. Just wish the level would come up, hate seeing all those fry protecting Tules high and dry...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast