Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Freshwater Noob in Burbank Seeking Some Local Knowledge

Default Freshwater Noob in Burbank Seeking Some Local Knowledge

Greetings! I'm a born and raised saltwater fishing junky (harbors on lazy days and out on the seas waxing yellows, tuna when they're in town, barracuda, etc. when we prepared the boat properly) that caught the freshwater bug on a recent camping trip in Colorado. All I hooked out there were Rainbows (one pretty nice one that weighed in just shy of 3 lbs.) on a Kastmaster and some Powerbait when I started feeling lazy.

Now I've got the freshwater bug really badly and haven't stopped thinking about hitting a lake since I got home. I was hoping I could get some local knowledge on what are some good local fisheries in the Valley/LA area, and what tackle and gear I should be using. My only light gear is a Daiwa Emblem Shot on a 6'4 Shimano EX264ML, currently spooled with some 6 lb. Trilene. I have a few Kastmasters, some Powerbait, and plenty of slider weights, swivels, some 4 lb. leader and size 12 and 8 trebles, but my understanding is that's pretty much all trout gear.

I want to start working some more species, especially because I know the trout like the colder conditions that I simply won't find out here in SoCal. What are the good spots around here and what kind of gear should I get? Honestly as much information as you can post here would be SO awesome too, because I'm very inexperienced with how to use certain freshwater lures. I've seen all of 'em on TV but never actually made 'em wiggle myself :) Usually out on the sea the sardine on the free spooled fly-line does all the wiggling for you, lol.

Also, glad to become a part of this community! I'm a new user to the forums too, and you all seem pretty tight knit, so here's to hoping I can fit in with all of you friendly fishermen (and fisherwomen, fisherladies?)!

Welcome camdozer,

im not from that area But im sure more from that area will chime in soon,,,Tight knit? Well lets just say that there are tight knit groups on here that try to co exist Kinda like life in general,, However the fishing knowledge on this site is second to none and basically everybody is willing to help. Basically its a great group of people.

Good luck with your fresh water adventures, let us know<post > how it goes out there,,,,catch or not we love the posts

TRAIL BLAZER