Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yellowtail Mania Aboard the Kolomona. Sunday 7/5 Coronados

Default Yellowtail Mania Aboard the Kolomona. Sunday 7/5 Coronados

Hello FNN, this is my first report.

I get a call from Arthur aka Commander Wingnut asking if I wanted to join him and Binh aka Badbeat on a Tuna/Yellowtail hunting trip with Jeff aka Webmaster.
    Hell yeah I said, I need to redeem myself for the last time I was out there getting seasick and didn't fish much.

Arthur and Binh picked me up at 1:30am and headed for the launch ramp in San Diego. None of us got any sleep coming off the 4th of July party.

Met up with Jeff and board the Kolo, picked up some bait and off we went.

We spent the first few hours trolling and looking for Tuna with no luck. Metered a lot of fish and seen some Tuna jump clear out of the water but couldn't get them to bite.

Finally, Jeff says let's head for the islands and kill some Yellowtails. Killed them we did, the troll was off the hook. The bite was great with multiple double hook ups. The only bummer was the Seal kept on stealing our fish. Damn Sea Dogs stole three or four big Yellows, lures and all. We try to chase them down to get at least the lure back but those bastards got away. One Seal got the hooks from a Rapala Magnum stuck to its flippers and we were fighting that sucker for about 20 minutes. It finally climbed out of the water onto some rocks and broke us off. We taught that sucker a lesson, lol.

We ended up with a total of twelve Yellowtails. I got my personal best Yellow and Binh caught the biggest one of the trip pushing close to 30 lbs.
    We lost quite a few plus the ones the Seal stole. It was a fun day out there with great friends and I really appreciate being included in such a cool group of fishermen.

Jeff, U Da Man bro thanks for everything. Arthur and Binh, thank you for inviting me along, this was the best fishing trip ever!!! Hope we can do it again soon.

Here are some photos, Arthur took most of them. I think Jeff is going to put up a video, good times!

Quang aka ToadHunter

Tuna boils. They didn't want to play today.

But there were plenty of Yellows that's willing.

There were a whole bunch of party boats out there.

One of our double hook ups.

One of the big Yellows got me pinned to the rail, haha

Binh almost got spooled by a Big Yellow.

Jeff got the gaff ready.

Here we are chasing down a Seal.

It finally climbed up on the rocks and broke off.

Bastard!

Thanks for filleting our fish Jeff.

Watering the SWAT Commander's road Beast before the drive home.
    Thanks for the Pho dinner Arthur!

Awesome job guys. Lots of fun for sure. Can't wait to do it again!

First of all WELCOME to the FNN Quang!

This is a very nice report sir. You definitely were in fine company and Jeff as always gets his crew on the big girls. Those are definitely some toads. I bet Badbeat's arms got pretty worn out (Since he just turned 40)....LOL
    BTW....A belated happy Birthday to ya Badbeat!

I can see that Arthur spent most of his time taking pictures instead of fishing too

Keep up the slaying guys.....This year is off the hook already for sure!

HELLUVA SEASON JEFF! Goodjob Arthur, Toadhunter and gang!

ahhhhhhhh I gotta get back out there. Currently stuck in Georgia... 130 hour work weeks... reading so cal fishing reports....

WOW!!!!
    GREAT report .

Welcome to FNN and what a great fishing trip,,rou guys rock,d m

Congrats

T/B

Report of the year right here

Quote Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
    Awesome job guys. Lots of fun for sure. Can't wait to do it again!

Didn't actually get to watch the vid until I got home and checked it out on my PC. Damn nice vid Jeff.....You sure take the back seat when it comes to your guests having a great time. You guys absolutely killed it on the troll for sure!

Red face

Good times for sure!
    Quang, you certainly redeemed yourself and more...
    Binh, congrats on your PB Yellowtail, that sucker almost spooled ya.

Thanks Jeff for another memorable trip. Your knowledge, experience and hospitality aboard the Kolo is second to none.
    We really appreciate your white glove service every time we step on board.
    Jeff is always more concerned about his guests catching fish and having a good time, than he cares about himself.

Can't wait until the Tuna shows up in numbers.

Binh celebrated his 40th birthday a few days ago... Man, I really feel old now.

JerryG and Son did pretty well too on their Father & Son trip.

Good times were had by all! Any issues with the navy that day? Guess you need a passport to fish the islands now. Some very good fishing up this way now also, you should get Jeff to come north soon.

Good stuff congrats to all!!! those Islands are on fire, i was there on the San Diego on the 3rd when it nailed 295 yellows :) Insane!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast