Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long skinny lizard ID ?

Default Long skinny lizard ID ?

Got lots of lizards in my backyard and they all look about the same, but never seen one like this. Wonder what kind it is.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture1.jpg 
Views:	1133 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	46534 Look how long its tail is.

I have them in my yard, don't always see them. I am not sure of the name I have just called them Alligator Lizards. On cold days I have picked them up and put them on my arm.

It's a Skink.

What the hell is a Skink Devore.

The lack of a long neck was the giveaway, that and the extra long tail.

"Skinks look roughly like true lizards, but most species have no pronounced neck and their legs are relatively small; several genera (e.g., Typhlosaurus) have no limbs at all. Other genera, such as Neoseps, have reduced limbs, lacking forelegs, and with fewer than five toes (digits) on each foot. In such species, their locomotion resembles that of snakes more than that of lizards with well-developed limbs. As a general rule, the longer the digits, the more arboreal the species is likely to be.
    Most species of skinks have long, tapering tails they can shed if predators grab onto them. Such species generally can regenerate the lost part of a tail, though imperfectly. Species with stumpy tails have no special regenerative abilities."

Upon a photo look a like it appears to be a Southern alligator lizard (Elgaria multicarinata) is a lizard native to the Pacific coast of North America.[1] It is common throughout Southern California and can be found in grasslands, chaparral, and forests as well as urban areas.[1] In dry climates, it is likely to be found in moist areas or near streams.[1] Three subspecies can be distinguished: the California alligator lizard (E. m. multicarinata), the San Diego alligator lizard (E. m. webbii), and the Oregon alligator lizard (E. m. scincicauda).[2]

The southern alligator lizard has a long, somewhat prehensile tail, up to twice the length of its body.[1] Like many lizards, however, it can drop its tail if attacked, possibly giving it a chance to flee;[1] the tail will regenerate, but will never be as long or richly colored as the original.[citation needed] Individuals with intact tails can reach up to about 28cm (11in) total length.[citation needed]

The lizards can frequently be found near human habitation and are notable for their fearless self-defense; they will often bite and defecate if handled.[1] In the wild they eat small arthropods, slugs, lizards, small mammals and occasionally young birds and eggs.[2]

Thanks we need Smoke Hound to pipe in, also I seen a Tarantula Wasp today. Those things are bad *** for their size. I guess I was a little bored today thanks for reading.

If your bored I got painting to do, my least favorite honey do.....lol

I like painting and did a lot of it in my working days. But don't like the prep work. But it looks so good when its a done.

I see alligator lizards in my yard all the time,then I've seen one or two that are yellow almost bright yellow,I thought that they were albinos,now I'm more unsure,they never hang around long enough for a pic though.

Cya Tuna Vic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast