Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Any surf fly fishers / anglers out there use bait on hook ?

Default Any surf fly fishers / anglers out there use bait on hook ?

I know for a devout fly angler, using bait - live or plastics would laugh or yell out at me but just wondering if any fly anglers use any bait casting bait on their fly lines ?

Any surf fly fishers with success using bait or plastics ?

I have been doing some testing on the Pacific surf (OC to LA) and found that the best results are from using Berkley Power 2" sandworms or live sand crabs on a #2 or #4 hook.

Here is my setup for the beach: 10wt Helios 9 footer w/ fast sinking RIO tip, mono leader & sandworm:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3XSBlm.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	46527

Quote Originally Posted by 4sallypat View Post
    I know for a devout fly angler, using bait - live or plastics would laugh or yell out at me but just wondering if any fly anglers use any bait casting bait on their fly lines ?

Any surf fly fishers with success using bait or plastics ?

I have been doing some testing on the Pacific surf (OC to LA) and found that the best results are from using Berkley Power 2" sandworms or live sand crabs on a #2 or #4 hook.

Here is my setup for the beach: 10wt Helios 9 footer w/ fast sinking RIO tip, mono leader & sandworm:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3XSBlm.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	46527
    Not that I don't mind a fly fisherman using bait, I just think it defeats the purpose of fly fishing, to be honest.

I can probably cast a sandworm of sand crab further, and have better line management using conventional gear, than trying to pull it off with a fly rod. I'd never fly line either of those baits, and would need a weight to keep it in the strike zone.

I use a fly rod because I can't cast a size 18 caddis with a spinning rod without necessitating the use of a clear plastic bubble, which defeats the entire purpose. I try not to do the opposite either.