Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Question for the salt guys of FNN

Default Question for the salt guys of FNN

Has anybody ever drifted the la/long beach or san Pedro harbor just inside the break walls for halibut?

If so got any info for a guy that's never UNTILL RECENTLY fished for halli,s that far south

TRAIL BLAZER
    Last edited by trail blazer; 07-04-2015 at 11:42 PM.

Yes. Also try drifting the oil islands with a reverse dropper loop and a nosed hook sardine

It can be good at times. Best to try to drift along a break wall.
    Sometimes the wind does not cooperate. Some guys slow troll when no wind.
    The outside of the main wall drift is best 3-10 mph wind with the motor off SP towards LB.

1 to 3 mph drift is good. More wind then more weight needed 3/4 oz to 3 oz torpedo and a 4' - 5' 20 - 30lb leader.
    Nose hook sardine or smelt with a 4" leader to a treble trap butt hook
    Always bring a big net and gaff. Nets are required onboard by DFG law. 22" min opening.

Scott's going to be on the prowl for the BIG BUTT
    Last edited by MikesOcean; 07-05-2015 at 08:24 PM.

Many times,my pb butt in the harbor is 23lbs caught close to the first oil island coming out of Alimitos bay,I think it's Chaffey but not sure,fish a dropper loop torpedo sardine or squid,you can drift all the way to the beach,I've caught halibut in a little as 4' of shoreline break,once you get that close the beach patrol guys will start yelling at you,I had a friend that fished commercially for halibut and only fished inside the harbor,also saw a guy catch a 45lb butt in between the jettys of Alimitos bay,I saw the fish back at the launch ramp,massive,he had two.

Cya Tuna Vic
    Last edited by TUNAVIC; 07-05-2015 at 09:28 PM.

Sounds great everybody. Thank you.

Basically it's the same asmy morrow bay ball bouncing days from 25+years ago. Caught many to 35 lbs just I side and outside the breakwater there on a little 15 foot hustler boat that wekept for that exact purpose.

I didn't realise until recently how much I mised the salt.

TRAIL blazer

Scott, was driving past the museum around the golf course yesterday. Saw a guy on bendo right offshore.

Keeper halibut 5 lbs or so. Honked at him, he held it up. I asked around and apparently it's the 2nd one caught this year. I guess they just moved in

i havent done it but i hear bounce balling kills it... they use 1-2 lb weights... dodger and hooch or fresh dead squid.

What we used to do was run enough weight to keep a mostly vertical line out,,only 10 to 60 feet deep, then run a 3ft leader abought a foot above the wt on a dropper loop OR three way swivel,,,,, the current would keep the bait in front of the weight and the butts would eat it before being bounced on by the wt

Keep in mind 25+yrs ago,,,,,,its a new world out there now,,,But there still the same fish just not as many of them