Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Happy 4th of July

Default Happy 4th of July

God bless America!
    Totally forgot everyone would be off for the long weekend and remembered when there was a line at the gate round 5:30. Kids wanted to go so there we were. The fishing sucked but I managed a couple on squarebills in the grass early. The boats and skis turned the lake into a giant whirlpool by 8:30. Some jag off went by me about ten feet away towing a knee boarder near the tower. My 7 YO was blindsided by the wake and barely kept in the boat. Lucky for us the knee boarder fell not too far away so off we went for retribution. As we sped by the Bro on board looked at me like I was a prick. My daughter asked for and received permission to give him the bird. It was a firm and well executed salute to a inconsiderate boater. So we decided to leave round 10 when we couldn't really get around the lake anymore. That's when the real fun started. The docks were full of boats n skis that hadn't seen a charger since the last holiday weekend and couldn't be started. The ramp was pandemonium, 40 boats waiting to launch, three trying to get out. It was fun watching all those people who launch their rig twice a year. Some dude tried to launch a 30 foot bay liner when there was already five wide. Totally gridlocked the ramp. I'd say 90 percent of those people were completely unprepared to be on the ramp and really probably shouldn't ever attempt to put a boat in the water again. Just sayin. After a great deal of patience I was able to get out wipe down.
    Just wanted to put out a happy fourth to everyone. Do yourself a favor and stay away this weekend, it's hardly worth it.
    A little video I think is fitting:
    https://vimeo.com/67253679

Yup, was there also, lake was a bit of a zoo. Got on the water around 6:20 (I was the blue and white z6). Grabbed a couple of small fish late in the day at the dam, dropshotting, and grabbed my first fish ever on a frog - found some grass that was throwing shade at the back of the island, pulled away a bit and threw the frog over there. Had to trim the legs as they were taking it short (figured that out when a few of the legs were shorter than the rest). Was throwing a kvd sexy frog - on the short takes, followed it up with either a weightless stick worm, or a t rigged zoom trick worm.

Getting out, the ramp was a bit of a mare - ended up with the wife dropping me off at the ramp to the left - fetched the truck/trailer down, loaded and gone. Overall, not the greatest day, but fun nonetheless.

Saw a couple of guys fishing a tracker at the back of the island land what looked like a decent sized fish, tried to stay out of his way, and not spook the fish in the area he was fishing. Lots of grass at the back of the island is creating mats, over near the tyres etc - fished those early.

G

Gary no hard feelings about the war, we won......lol

Happy 4th

Good job on the frog fish! I love those blow ups even if the hook up ratio isn't that great. I have been getting them on a Jackyll iobee in bluegill pattern in grass areas. Didn't throw it this week, wanted to try some new things. Good luck out there.
    Wurzel, I saw you guys at launch. That's a nice little rig. Next time I'll stop and say hi.
    Last edited by Skinny; 07-04-2015 at 12:44 PM.

Devo, I hope your next poop is a hedge hog lmao, have a great 4th fella.

Skinny, I'd like that, always good to put a face to a name. Saw the mats, had a couple of frogs with me, just had to give it a go. (one of the good things about not knowing what the hell I'm doing a lot of the time, not scared to try something new lol....)
    Hoping to be there again on Monday - depends on fishing partner, just got to find out why my TM keeps cutting out (loose connection or something wrapped on shaft I suspect)

Have a good 4th everyone.