Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Rpt.-Wed.-07-01-15 A couple of Ducky Tails!

Default Rpt.-Wed.-07-01-15 A couple of Ducky Tails!

Lal and I wanted to put a Tuna on the Ducky soon, although we knew it was still hit and miss. Local Bass fishing was also on the decline recently, so we elected to pursue the local Yellowtail. So we went fishing Wed. 7-01-15 on his 18’ boat the “Rubber Ducky”. We launched out of Davies in Long Beach at 5:40 am, our beginning destination being the 150 spot, as the Shoe and 105 had dried up.

We stopped at Nachos to get some bait, and he had some healthy very large Sardines combined with a few Mac’s. We received a generous ½ scoop, most of which lived throughout the day.

The forecast called for morning wind, 5 to 7 knots, with the usual afternoon 9 to 12 knots expected. There was a deep marine layer, as we exited the harbor, while the seas were grease calm, until we arrived at the 150 spot, then it got windy with washing machine conditions. There were about a half dozen private boaters in the area. All of them moving around, except a few perhaps fishing for Rockfish.

We had hopes to venture outside of the fleet and find our own fish under the birds. We looked and looked for nothing, no birds and no signs of Tails, yet there was bait everywhere! We never saw another private boater hooked up, as now there were about 15 to 20 in the area.

At 9am the first Sport Boat showed up, the Southern Cal, joined shortly by the Monte Carlo and the Liberty. The Monte Carlo was on the move searching, while the Liberty and Southern Cal anchored up. We saw nothing happening and continued to search for good meter marks or diving birds.

Fortunately the 15 knot winds had backed off to about 6 to 8. We watched the Monte Carlo run from way outside to anchor near the other two boats. We had to take a look. Sure enough they were hooking a few Tails on the anchor. Lots of chum was doing the trick.

It was now after 10 am with nothing to show for our efforts. Then we setup a drift about 150 yards outside of them and both Lal and I were bit simultaneously. We were both using 30 pound line with equal size Flouro Carbon leaders.

We were both getting smoked, and each of us feared the big Tails would rock us. I tightened down my drag as did Lal after a 100+ yard run. What a thrill it is catching these big fish that fight until they die. Lal was first to color and had to gaff his own fish, as I was bent over with mine. Another minute and I yelled color and Lal was quick to sink the gaff in the big Tail.

Lal with his 18 pound Yellowtail:

My Yellowtail weighing 25 pounds on the Boga:

We drifted again and again and slowed trolled through the area, while watching a few other private boaters hook fish. The Sport Boats hooked a few fish here and there. Lal called our good friend Richie who was Bass fishing at Izor’s Reef. They came out to the join the action, however, they had no bait, so we handed off some Sardines and a nice Mackerel.

Richie hooked a nice Tail and fought him for a while only to have it unbutton. Later Richie caught a 26 pound Yellowtail on the Mackerel, after a long soak.

Lal got short bit around 11am and the wind began howling around 11:30 am. We called it a day at noon. The ride home was not bad and the wind backed off about five miles off the Rigs. On the trailer at 1pm, very early for us.

Thanks Lal, we caught the targeted species, good job!

Hook up! Cory

Quality report,quality tails,as always guys,Thanks!

Cya Tuna Vic

Way to go guys!!! Hit your target as planned and off the water by 1:00....AWESOME!!!

Awesome report guys! Wy to slay em!