Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 06/27 - South Bay - Stripe Strike!

Default 06/27 - South Bay - Stripe Strike!

Hello Everybody,

Already had plans going fishing today, but haven't decided where. Since I woke up kinda late and saw grey light already creeping out, decided to hit the South Bay.

Got there before 6 and was greeted by the bright morning. When I was tying up the LC from above where I parked, saw an area with fishy structure so headed that way.

Got to the spot, the waves were stronger than what I hoped, so didn't really expect much. After a few casts, I thought I got a hit, but it was probably kelp, cos broken kelp was all over the place today. Continued on, and suddenly I get a very decent strike right after the lure hit the water. Fight on!!! I could feel this was something special. I checked my watch just to time how long it might take me to reel him in. Started with two splashes without exposing itself from a distance. Then started to shift left and out, left and out; felt like 15 minutes of this battle back and forth. A beast for sure how the action was going. I hold my rod up to keep the tension, and slowly reel him in feet by feet, until the fish tires out. Finally, got the first glance to see it's tail (still swinging), but couldn't identify what type of bass. Just 5 feet away from success, waited until the next wave and landed him. It was HUGE, didn't think it was long, but HUGE. Looked at the time again; only passed 7 minutes. Hahaha....

This beast measured out to be 34" (Personal Best Striped Bass).

Close up, the head looked oddly funny.

If you look close to how it was hooked, only the first two treble hooks were attached to the outer side of the mouth, the third treble hook was loose, don't know if I foul hooked him or not, but I'll take it anyways.

Look at the tail!! disgusting...

Since there were more people on this beach, I was able to grab someone to help take a photo of me with it.
    Measuring tape never gives the size of the fish justice.

Right after the shot, comes the release.

Continued to fish until 9:00 with two other species.

Short Butt

1st YFC for the year. long time no see ...

Brand new LC, see how much beaten it got.

This is my 2nd Striper I've ever caught. The first one was just 8 days ago also in the South Bay.
    Have been trying get a hand on these guys for some quite time.
    Was thinking of going the shorter route to Castaic, but Poseidon had other thoughts.

Hope everybody enjoyed it.

As always tight lines,
    ALbert (jinbow)

Mr Jinbow......WOW!
    Now that stripey is a serious TOAD!!!!.
    Much respect Albert. It couldn't have happened to a nicer and more deserving angler IMHO!

I know your heart when it comes to these fish and I commend you on the release sir. Thanks for becoming part of the solution rather than a part of the problem. Our resident stripers here in SoCal need all of the help they can get in the surf zone. That's a breeder for sure!
    Some guys I know unfortunately would have killed that fish which is sad.

Good job Brotha!

P.S.

Looks like there was a little parasite on the tail. Did you peel that off before the release? I'm kinda weird like that....I've removed all kinds of weird crap from fish before I release them. As far as the foul hook...who knows. By IGFA standards it would be sketchy but I've seen this happen many times when you actually only hang a big fish on just the tail hook. Then they bolt for Catalina and during the fight the hooks pops out of the fishes mouth and the rest of the hooks foul under the chin. You were very lucky...a little longer of a fight and she might have came completely unbuttoned.

--------<><
    Last edited by bones; 06-27-2015 at 04:33 PM.

Normal head, not foul hooked. They don't swallow a bait like other fish.

Nice fish looks like a solid 15

that's cool pullin one out of the surf ,,,it doesn't matter what it weighed, the fact that you caught it is awesome...............

Dude...you are on fire lately!!!! Very nicely done. Getting one is tough...two in a couple week stretch is awesome! Gotta say, you are one of the nicest guys I've met out there in the surf so all your success is well deserved. You've fished hard and have been WELL rewarded!

Congrats!!!
    Don

PS - I'm assuming that these fish came on your new setup so I think it's safe to say after a legal WSB and two stripers that the rod and reel are adequately broken in.
    Last edited by bachiboy; 06-27-2015 at 06:54 PM.

Absolutly awesome, and much respect for the release....................Verne

Just awesome!

Albert you are absolutely nailing them! Putting yourself in the right place at the right time! Congratulations on another epic catch , and no comment about the release !

Great catch. I bet you were north of Hermosa ?
    Haven't heard of one in Redondo/Torrance, has anybody ?
    Congratulations.

every year at Hermosa.............

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast