Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Native Sun or Enterprise?

Default Native Sun or Enterprise?

I grew up in Long Beach but when I moved to the Inland Empire I pretty much let salt water fishing go in favor of more LMB fishing. The bite is so good now though I'm thinking of jumping on one of these two boats this Friday. Any opinions on which is better and why? Anyone want to meet up for the trip?

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    I grew up in Long Beach but when I moved to the Inland Empire I pretty much let salt water fishing go in favor of more LMB fishing. The bite is so good now though I'm thinking of jumping on one of these two boats this Friday. Any opinions on which is better and why? Anyone want to meet up for the trip?
    Well let's not all answer at once!!!! lol I was hoping other people were going to respond to this very GOOD question. But since Crow is leaving Friday, answering him on Saturday really doesn't do him any good!!!! I've been fishing this things twice a week for a month, and started fishing these things in October of last year and all through the winter. So I'm talking from experience and following the fish count every day. What makes it even funnier, "I'm planning on going Friday." So everything I'm saying, "I'm taking my own advice on planning my own trip. lol

You ask to compare the Native Sun to the Enterprise. I'm going to go one step further not just for Crow but for everyone. I'm adding one more boat to the mix, which will become vary apparent why when we start comparing them. The other boat I want to throw in the mix is the Patriot out of Newport Landing. These are the only 3/4 day boats I would recommend going on!!!! Pass on the Freelance, Indian, Spitfire, Liberty, Victory and the Aggressor. The Pursuit and Sport King are mostly Catalina bound so we won't put them in the mix. The Half-Day boats are another story, which we won't cover today!!

Let's start comparing them in multiply ways. 1. The price. The Enterprise and the Native Sun are comparable at about $60 a piece. The Patriot is quite a bit more, any where from $85-$105 dollars depending on how many people they take. 2. Closeness to the fishing grounds. The Enterprise and the Native Sun are about equal in distance depending on where the fish pop up. The Patriot has to go a little farther and the Indian and the Spitfire have to make almost a 3 hour boat ride to get there. (that's a big reason why I don't recommend going on either of those 2 boats) 3. The shape of the boat and how comfortable it is to fish on. The Enterprise is big and wide and heavy in the water. (an ideal fishing platform) The Native Sun is big and stable but has a rounded stern like a horseshoe. (not the best design) The Patriot is long and narrow and has a pulpit. (a pulpit is an exaggerated extension on the bow)

4. The Captains. Andy on the Enterprise is day in and day out the best captain in the fleet, but he only runs the boat Tues-Friday. (The relief captain isn't that good) Arron on the Native Sun is probably the second best captain of the 3/4 day fleet. John Fisher who runs the Patriot is probably number 3 but Couch who is 2nd skipper on the Spitfire is the big up and comer. 5. The amount of anglers you're likely have on the boat Friday. Enterprise 55-75, Native Sun 50-68 and the Patriot 32!!!! That's not a typo 32, that%
    Last edited by etucker1959; 06-24-2015 at 11:39 PM.

great report etucker. imo...i rather pay more for less people on a boat. you'll have a much higher chance of getting more fish and less tangles. thats the main reason i dont do less the overniters. i cant deal with that packed of a boat.

Good info etucker! Thank u for that.

...................the thunderbird.......................

Quote Originally Posted by TroutOnly View Post
    ...................the thunderbird.......................
    Thunderbird = Apple ................ Enterprise = Oranges ................. Intrepid = Tangerines ............... lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 06-25-2015 at 02:03 PM.

........................thunderbird = #1........................

Quote Originally Posted by TroutOnly View Post
    ........................thunderbird = #1........................
    I'd like to see the Thunderbirds numbers compared to the San Diego's numbers. Those 2 boats caught more fish then anybody else, besides the Long Range fleet.

Went on the Southern Cal pm yesterday. Got skunked on the YT. Only 3 YTs landed. Bigger class closer to 30lbers.
    Lighter load about 25 anglers. Bunch of cattle boats working together. Some of the boats were packed 40 - 50 anglers.
    Check the head counts. Captain anchored for about a hour and the sculpin action was good.
    Last edited by DockRat; 06-25-2015 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    Went on the Southern Cal pm yesterday. Got skunked on the YT. Only 3 YTs landed. Bigger class closer to 30lbers.
    Lighter load about 25 anglers. Bunch of cattle boats working together. Some of the boats were packed 40 - 50 anglers.
    Check the head counts. Captain anchored for about a hour and the sculpin action was good.
    I also got skunked on Tuesday on a Half- Day boat. We only had 4 on the boat that day, you definitely need to be on a good 3/4 day boat to have a chance at these things now!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast