Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Souther Cal Half-day the boat that keeps on giving!!!!

Default Souther Cal Half-day the boat that keeps on giving!!!!

I had another adventure today on the Southern Cal Half-Day out of Pierpoint landing. I have recently sampled quite a few of the other boats, all fishing the same Slug Yellowtail on the Horseshoe kelp. I can honestly say, "I haven't really been disappointed with any of them." With that being said, to me a sport fishing boat is kindly like pizza. "It's all good, just some are better then others." But I do have my two favorite boats. For 3/4 day fishing it's the Enterprise out of Marina sport fishing. For Half day fishing it's the Southern Cal hands down. It's not just the price $27 dollars with a Groupon voucher, it's the fact they really try hard to get every Yellowtail on the boat. I know all boats are suppose to do that, they (Southern Cal) just succeed at it a little better. One of the reasons of their success in landing more fish, is they have a secret weapon. Their cook named Earl, he makes a mean breakfast burrito and delicious cheeseburgers. But when the bite is on, he's directing traffic as good or not better then the head deckhand Arron. I like Arron a lot, he's also very good on deck and he always seems to be grabbing my rod to help it stay out of trouble. I've hooked 10 slug Yellowtail on the boat so far this year and haven't yet lost a single one of them.

On to today's fishing, today captain Ryan ran the boat not Mitch. I don't think today was a good day to compare captains. Why do I say that, those stupid things were really biting today!!!!! Not just for us, "BUT FOR EVERYBODY!!!!!" I think we might even have come up a little short on the stick today in the way of the fish counts. I personally caught 3 and I was high man on the boat. I would look over and see all the other boats just going bendo with hooked Yellowtail. We landed 33 Yellowtail today for our 60 passengers. It wouldn't surprise me to see most of the other boats land 50-100 Yellowtail today. They were just biting that good!!! Let me tell you about my first fish I landed today. After picking up our bait at the bait boat we just headed for the fleet of boats. As we got nearer to the fleet, I noticed every sport fishing boat and skiff in the epicenter of the main body of boats were all hooked up. I knew my first bait in the water was going to get eaten by a hungry Yellowtail. Sure enough it did!!!!! To land your first Yellowtail within 10 minutes of fishing, sure takes the pressure off of you for the entire trip!!! Let's go over the tackle you need if anyone wants to try this for yourself. You need 30-40 pound test line and a small piece of fluorocarbon leader. (I use 9 feet of fluorocarbon leader myself) Either no weight at all, (that's what I did) or a 1/4 -1/2 sliding egg sinker. That's the hot ticket, I also use a ringed hook in 2/0-4/0 size. Pick a good lively bait and be prepared to hang on when your sardine get's eaten by a 20-30 lbs Yellowtail. lol This bite is the best I've ever seen locally in my 40 years of angling experience. It wouldn't be a bad idea to call in sick one of these days. Just tell your boss, "your running a fever." A Yellowtail fever, but he doesn't have to know that!!!! lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 06-20-2015 at 05:38 AM.

Cool report,lot of info and some good tips,I certainly agree with the 30-40 lb test line,especially since the bite is pretty much wide open and your on a party boat with many others,very nice,WTG.

Cya Tuna Vic

I've been using straight 30 pound mono. I tried 40 but it clearly doesn't get bit as consistently (in mono). I tried dropper loop for a while but the action is definitely better with the sliding sinker (I've been using 1/2 or 3/4 ounce) and quite a few guys got bit on the flyline. IMO, the key in baits (aside from picking a healthy, strong swimmer) is to find the biggest sardine there is. Those bog boys want big baits. So, when you get bit, don't set the hook. Let the fish swim off and pull your rod down. They need time to eat that big old bait, lol. I instinctively set the hook a few times and missed those bites. Nope, let 'em eat it. Then you'll get some AHHHHHHH!!!
    Last edited by Ambassadorhawg; 06-21-2015 at 06:15 AM.

WTG Tucker. I agree that the So Cal is a great boat. Ryan is a great captain having fished the boat twice within the last month.
    1/2 day boat on a drift is so much nicer than sitting on anchor. Groupon is the worst thing ever when it comes to boat tickets.
    TOO MANY NEWBS. Fills the boat, crowded, non tippers.

Last trip I ran straight 40 lb mono Izorline and had 3 fish, 1 landed. 12 landed that day. No flouro needed.
    The worst is these guys fishing braid on a cattle boat. Do not use braid on a crowded. The tangles are a nightmare to sort out with braid and they saw off guys that are hooked up. That is how my 1 fish was sawed off. The other one pulled the hook.

Love the braid but it has it's applications, BUT fishing with 40 guys with some using braid is not a good idea.
    The owners do not like Groupon too. It helps fill the boat but on a YT bite it really sucks.
    DR