Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Fluorescent Hi Vis monofilament

Default Fluorescent Hi Vis monofilament

Being a fisherman that prefers monofilament lines for my ultralight fishing, I really like using the highly visible fluorescent lines. I've used all the major brands in clear and green, but I really like being able to see my line while fishing, especially while float tubing and these low-vis lines are just too hard to see, especially in certain conditions like cloudy days, windy days, shady spots, etc.. I'm sure part of the problem is my vision, which just seems to worse every year. I have used these bright lines for several years now and I catch a lot of fish,.. they do not seem to shy away from Hi Vis lines, and I'm not just talking about Bluegill, Redears and crappie, but also bass. Some of you guys that know me have seen the many nice bass I have caught from local lakes and parks with fluorescent mono. I've even caught bass in very clear lakes. There's nothing more exciting (in fishing..) than to be working your fly lined worm back in, then to SEE your line jump and start to move off as Mr. Bass takes your bait.
    I've met guys that will never use a Hi Vis line, thinking the fish will see the line and not take the bait.
    Anyone else favor these lines?

I have used Stren "Gold" mono for over 30 years in my ultralight spinning reels and love it. It is sometimes difficult to find in smaller spools.

You can find it here: http://www.johnnyspond.com/stren-original-gold.html
    Last edited by DEVOREFLYER; 06-10-2015 at 05:32 AM.

I am a ultralight pan fisherman and line watch a lot and love seeing my line movement. I have used fluorescent in the past years with good luck but now days I use monofilament 2 pound test When I fly line I use a very small bobber as a strike indicator.

Ted, I use 2 lb monofilament also, but I use a fluorescent green and blue lines.

Hey Fishmounter does it literally have to be mono? I fish yellow power pro braid for bass for the exact same reason. I get to see every tick, no matter what the conditions. I use a low vis leader of course. Have you considered 6 lb power pro super slick in yellow? Its so bright that even the guy on the next boat over can see the bite on my line.

Yeah, I use very small diameter lines (1, 2, and 3 lb test mono) because I primarily fish for Bluegill, Redears, and crappie, and I use tiny small jigs and spoons, which any line over 4 lb test would not only prevent long casts, but would inhibit the action of the lures.