Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Santa ana river tenkara bass action

Default Santa ana river tenkara bass action

Headed over to the Santa Ana river in OC. Carp were lined up in the river as they foraged in the sandy bottom. With my Amago in hand i approach some feeding carp and made some casts. My fly of choice is trying to mimic a small ball of algae. After many attempts to get the fly in place no takes. I then tied on a weighted bright green streamer with barbell eyes. Worked down river til the next carp was spotted. Had better luck getting some nice placements near feeding carp but just no takers this time.

with the same fly on i began working the fly along the bank and hooked up my first 8 inch LMB. These guys really fight when they are river bass. Got him back in the water and few more casts produced another bass. These bass are very aggressive and just waiting for an ambush.

I continued fishing this same fly along any banks were open and free of algae mats. Got 6 bass today and all released.

SORRY NO PICS

Just a quick observation. I can do three nice river Carp an hour with a white minijig. Plus those pesky little Bass and bonus Channel Cats. Its more of a reaction bite to a food item they can see. Perhaps a color adjustment will produce more fish. By the way, the carp are also thick at nearby Tri-City park. Much bigger and a little pickier...still like those mini-jigs though.

3. Default

Great report, thanks for posting. Lot of water back there...