Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: A tale of two Yellowtail trips to the Horseshoe Kelp (aka 150 spot Long Beach)

Default A tale of two Yellowtail trips to the Horseshoe Kelp (aka 150 spot Long Beach)

After last weeks two pleasant 1/2 yellowtail trips producing nothing but a drubbing from the Bako boys, I thought this week I better step things up a bit. Not a very big step, just 3/4 day fishing the Yellowtail at the 150 spot. I was going to write individual reports on each trip, but I got my poor little feelings hurt on another thread that day, so I past up the opportunity to write up Tuesday's trip. I then went fishing Friday of the same week on a different boat to the exact same spot, there was some very noticeable differences of how things played out. I thought it would be fun to compare 2 excellent sport boats and captains different styles of fishing the exact same fish in the exact same spot. I fished the Enterprise on Tuesday with captain Andy and the Indian with Captain David on Friday. I took my trusty Friend Glenn with me on both trips, so I will give a combined fish count of the 2 of us. When I'm in the SALT (water) everything is MINE, MINE, ALL MINE!!!! (Daffy Duck Imitation) When I Freshwater fish, "I'm just the opposite." I drive the boat, but everyone else reels in the fish and that's the way "I LIKE IT!!!!!!!" lol

Back to the fishing, I'm not going to keep you in suspense of what we caught. 5 Yellowtail landed on the Enterprise and we lost 2. (hook pulled and 1 saw off) 2 Yellowtail landed on the Indian, none lost and Glenn and I each caught one. Let's talk about each day a little bit, for those of have never been on the Enterprise you have missed something special. It's arguably the best 3/4 day fishing platform on the Gold Coast. It's got everything, it's big and wide and as stable as a boat could be. The Indian on the other hand has low rails and a bit of a rocker if you know what I mean. It does have the most convenient galley seating of any boat and BUNKS!!!!!!!! Let me repeat that, "Bunks!!!" You young guy's don't mind BS ing for 3 hours while crossing the Catalina channel. Us older guy's would just as soon stretch out and relax and be well rested, ready to stand at the rail for the next 6 hours. lol The Captain's and the Deck hands are all both courtesy and helpful. The difference is Andy on the Enterprise is Cool as a cumber when he see's a 1000 Yellowtail on his meter. David on the other hand has a WAR FACE (those who served in the military you know what I'm talking about) For those who never served let me describe it. When Captain David see's the Yellowtail light up his screen, he calls to his deckhand in a very stern voice, "TO LET THEM HAVE IT!!!!!!" (he means to throw chum on them) Let me paint a picture of a event where you would use the same tone of voice. If you were a Marine tank commander in the pacific in WW2 and you positioned your tank at boint blank range of an enemy pill box and you issued the orders to fire the gun, that's how intense captain David get's when he's in hunt down mode of those Yellowtail. In contrast Andy calmly say's throw bait and see's what happens. Captain Andy even told us to calm down and stop yelling at the Skiffs who were floating mere yards off our stern. The two captains have a different style of dealing with all the other boat pressure. Andy will put his boat right in the center of the herd of other boats if he feels that's where the fish are. Captain David on the other hand, likes to fish where the people haven't shown up yet. He might miss a couple of opportunity's by doing that, but he doesn't have 6 skiffs floating in his chum line every time he stops the boat. Even my friend Glenn who is Mr. Joker himself starts yelling at the skiffs. It is very rude behavior, but since there is no policing by anyone, the common response from the skiffs is F you!!!!!! I think I heard that 4 times on Friday.

Last but not least, Andy and the Enterprise has a big following of loyal customers. You can expect 35-55 anglers on the Enterprise on any given day. The Indian right now goes out with 8-18 anglers per trip even on the weekends. Let me tell you about the comparsion of hook to land ratio on the Yellowtail. Andy get's about 60% of the Yellowtail his anglers hook. On Friday we got 100% of everything we hooked. We only had 16 anglers on the boat, that makes a huge difference when you have a #20 lbs Yellowtail hooked. That guy standing next to you at the rail, "he is not your friend" he is the obstacle that you have to over come to be successful in putting that pig Yellowtail in your sack. lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 06-06-2015 at 10:10 PM.

if youre going on cattle boats ,the first thing you learn is how to handle the rail , or you never land the big ones,,,,,,,

Uuuunnnggghhhhh. What? I try but it's so difficult.

I feel like the one who hunts fish, on that little boat with shorter rails, getting jostled around on the sea.

There's no noticeable center of gravity. Someone keeps throwing bait but instead of hitting the water, they are unintentionally smacking me in the back of my head. There are too many distractions.

Got any visual aids? Maybe some PowerPoint? How about paragraphs? a 2nd and 3rd draft?

I know you're trying your best. Thanks etucker of 1959.

muah.

Last edited by hookdfisherman; 06-07-2015 at 09:08 PM.

Well done. Thanks for the report.

Great report. Both respectable captains that fit their style of fishing and customer basis. I personally prefer the exploration and adventure of finding your own fish, as the gratification of the hunt is greater for me than the trouble of working with other boats who more often than not are not willing to cooperate....because MINE.