Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Life is about Success & Failure, and Sometimes Loss... A Long Overdue SWAT Report.

Red face Life is about Success & Failure, and Sometimes Loss... A Long Overdue SWAT Report.

Warmest greetings to my fellow Fishing Network Friends & Family. It's been quite a long time since I posted up a report.

2015 has been a difficult year. In March, I lost my best canine friend of 15 years. Her name is Baby, most of you know her as Wingnut Pug and she is usually in the "parting shot" photo at the end of most of my reports. Then in April, my Father passed away after a lengthy battle with cancer. Life is not kind at times, and sometimes downright unbearable, but one thing is for sure, it goes on...

I will add a little tribute for them at the end of my report.

"God never puts anything in front of you in life, that you can't handle..."

I want to thank all those who have reached out to me in the past few months. All the phone calls, texts, emails, cards and private messages offering prayers and support is much appreciated.

I haven't been fishing much at all this year. A couple of times out chasing Yellowtails and I think only one time in the surf back in January. As a matter of fact, just this past weekend was when I caught my very first surf fish of the year. I'm dead last on the S.W.A.T. Challenge Leader Board standings.

Anyways... This past Sunday, was the day that I planned to make my return to the surf. Talking to a few of my S.W.A.T. Brothers (Mike aka Bones, Don aka Bachiboy and Mikey aka Exfactor), we decided to head up to Santa Barbara to hunt some monster Perch. I was told that the local surf action on my home turf has been kinda slow this year and I haven't really been missing out on much.

Sunday 5/31 - 1:30am
    Mike and Don met me at my office bright and early and we piled all our gear in Don's Suburban for the long drive North.

We were all excited to hit this beach in Santa Barbara, because the day before, Mikey recon the spot with a couple of youngsters and they caught three Striped Bass!
    Catching a Lineside from the surf has been one of my biggest goals ever since I started surf fishing. Came close a few times, but the "true" Ghosts of the surf have always eluded me.

We got to Mikey's house in Goleta at 3:00am and followed him on another hour drive North. Mikey's friend Scott and the surf fly fishing expert Tim aka FeatherB8s will also be joining us.

We got to the A.O. at 4:00am, geared up and hiked another hour in total darkness to the spot.

Lieutenant Bones was having a tough time with the 3 mile hike in.
    Rough terrain and wearing the wrong type of shoes didn't help.

Tar balls everywhere...

We had surf Stripers on our minds all morning with every cast we made... but the Linesides weren't around or didn't want to play today.

But there were Perch, lots and lots and lots of Perch... Big ones too. I personally caught at least 50+ with a few 14 and 15 inchers in the mix. I'm sure every one else did just as well or better... Many double hook ups.

I will not hide any backgrounds in this report. If you guys know where this beach is... come out and have some fun!

Scotty gets a 23" legal Halibut! His first legal Halibut in the surf.

Lt. Bones

Mikey (Exfactor) and Tim (FeatherB8s).

On the way out... we did at least 6 miles on foot that morning.

Here are a couple of Stripers that Mikey and company caught on this same beach the day before.

Good friends sharing a nice meal afterwards...

Leaving the A.O. heading home.

We got stuck in traffic on the way home... lane closures from the oil spill clean up.

What a bummer... Don's SUV overheated and we pulled off the Freeway and called AAA.

The AAA flatbed truck driver was totally cool. He went out of the way to drop Mike and I off back at my office before taking Don and his vehicle to the mechanic shop.
    See you Don, sorry about the car... have fun shopping for a new one bro!

Thanks Mikey for the invite and your hospitality as always. We'll get those elusive Linesides next time!

Good fishing with you again Scott, congrats on your first legal Halibut in the surf.

Tim, very nice to meet you and a pleasure sharing the sand with you. Maybe you can teach me how to catch a surf Striper one of these days...

Mike, I'm glad we didn't have to carry you out and none of us had to give you mouth to mouth.
    Really great fishing with you again my friend and thanks for being there for me in my time of need.

Don, thanks for driving, even though it didn't turn out too well, but we are fortunate that it could have been much worse. You're such a good sport about it all and I'll always appreciate our friendship.

I finally caught my first surf fish of the year!

"When God pushes you to the edge of difficulty, trust Him fully. Because two things can happen. Either he'll catch you when you fall, or He will teach you how to fly."

Bonus photos:
    A couple of trips out with Jeff (Webmaster) on his boat, the Kolomona. Thank Jeff!

More Bonus pics...

JerryG sent me a pic of his PB Spotfin Croaker caught last weekend, nice!

My buddy David (Baja Concept) with a big Grouper caught in Mexico last weekend.
    Thanks for the invite to hang out and fish with you at your pad in Mexico my friend. Next time...

Mikey with some Salmon he caught in Morrow Bay a few weeks ago.

I had a birthday in March.

Parting Shots...

A Tribute to Dad and Wingnut Pug.

Dad, I still get a lot of hugs, but none of them as warm as yours... Miss you Dad.

Dad, as a child, I had a million ways to annoy you. As a teenager, I had a million reasons to defy you. As an adult, I had a million opportunities to make you proud. I did all that, but I missed out on the most important... a million chances to say I love you while you were alive... Miss you Dad.

Baby (Wingnut Pug) closed her eyes, went to sleep and didn't wake up. That's how I want to leave this world when my time comes.

She has given me so much of herself over the 15 years she was with me and this was her final act of love, her one last gift to me. I've always dreaded the day I had to take her to the vet to have her put to sleep when her quality of life is gone. She spared me the pain and heartache of having to go through that...

God's finger touched her and she slept.

Her ears were often the first thing to catch my tears...

Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe. We are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us loyally in return for scraps. It is without a doubt the best deal Man has ever made...

I picked up Baby's ashes and took her on Jeff's boat and scattered it... rest in peace my little girl. There will never be another like you.

Along with her ashes, I brought a bag of her favorite treat, her favorite bone, chew toy...

and the last photo I took of her this past Christmas.

I guess you don't really own a Dog, you rent them... and you have to be thankful that God gave you a long lease.

They have a way of finding people who need them. Filling an emptiness we don't even know we have.

Time to start thinking about HG7...

Wingnut I am sorry to hear about the loss of your father as well as Wingnut pug. I do know that life is tough sometimes. I am praying that the peace of God will be with you Bro. This was another great report. Thank you I always enjoy them.

BD

Beautiful report Arthur...... Now it's time to look forward in life and make it as awesome as possible. It was great fishing with you my friend. Let's not wait another six months to do it again. I'm looking forward to HGVII.....It will be nice!

God Bless Brotha!

Mike

Great write up Arthur. Your kindness, generosity, and wisdom are a great inspiration to me. I am forever grateful to have you as a friend.

Awesome report sir!!! Now I know why you were up so long last night.

You have been through quite a bit this year, so what I went through at the end of that trip IS laughable. I am really grateful that you and Mike were there to help me and that it didn't happen at the start of our ride home like we were talking about. But, what I am truly grateful for is that I have great friends to share these times with...friends and family are definitely what's most important. After Bones and I get over being sick and sore, we'll start our, "remember that time we went to...." stories.

Take care and THANKS brother!!!
    Don

PS - *&*(ing Scott!!!!

Sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved father and little friend. I am sure that the memories of both will be forever and special. Wonderful report and more time on the water will give you peace and reflection of how short life really is and to take every opportunity to enjoy it.

Default Truth

"When God pushes you to the edge of difficulty, trust Him fully. Because two things can happen. Either he'll catch you when you fall, or He will teach you how to fly."

How true that is, That,s why they call Him "Faithful and True"

Thank you very much for the inspiring report Arthur, and RIP to all our loved ones who have past away . Happy to see you out and about with a smile on your face ;) Glad you guys had a great trip and found some piggys.

Tight lines,
    Edgar

Brother Arthur:

Fabulous report. You shared your heart and it caused me to reflect on many things in my life. You motivated me to reflect on how important my family and friends are to my life. You showed me how blessed I am to have the friends I do in my life including you. But probably the best blessing in your report is showing me how to go through some of life's most difficult times with with honor and thankfulness! Plus...great story and pictures

Wow! thank you my friend,

Nick
    Last edited by anchor3n1; 06-05-2015 at 11:36 AM.

its great to see you out fishing Arthur ,when I heard about youre father I prayed for you ,theres no words that can be said to ease the pain in youre heart for the loss of your father. I lost mine to cancer 30 yrs ago and my heart still aches from the loss..............

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast