Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most shocking catch?

Default Most shocking catch?

Just wondering what is your most shocking catch? Example being one day I was at Vail and my friends told me that the bass there love hot dogs. I was like yeah right, but it was true, I fished catfish style with farmer johns and caught a ton of bass on a dog sitting on the bottom! Who woulda thought of that, it was weird. I felt like I was cheating.
    So what's the thing that shouldn't have worked that did, for whatever species?

I was fishing for bluegill at Legg Lake one day with a small fly and I got slammed! The fish starts running and then snaps my line....I retie another fly and get slammed again! I set the hook and again it snaps. This time I set my drag lighter, tie on another fly....and get slammed a third time! This time my drag works and after a long fight....I pull in a 4lb catfish with three flies in its mouth lol. Sorry I can't upload the photo right now, having issues uploading. But that's my crazy weird story

My most shocking catch was bass fishing the stumps at Lake Palestine in Texas many years ago with my uncle. Had caught a good number of bass when I got the biggest strike of the day. To my amazement when it appeared from around the side of a big stump it was not a bass but a large Cottonmouth snake that had attacked my frog lure. While I yelled to my uncle to cut the line he took the rod from my hand and cranked it into the boat.

The snake was well hooked and angry thrashing on the deck all the while I was thinking of jumping overboard. I would have gone overboard but the snake might have a brother nearby and I wasn't going to chance it. My uncle calmly cut the bad boys head off and proceeded to take two pair of pliers and extract the lure from the head of the snake all the while the headless body still thrashing on the deck..

While I have seen many snakes swimming in the water and have heard stories of them even climbing on board I have never heard of one getting hooked up. Something I will never forget, creeps me out just thinking about it today.

Weirdest bait used to catch a fish? An orange peel.

Most shocking catch? A 2 foot Arowana out of Echo Park. Best fighting fish I've ever encountered.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Boy 14 View Post
    I was fishing for bluegill at Legg Lake one day with a small fly and I got slammed! The fish starts running and then snaps my line....I retie another fly and get slammed again! I set the hook and again it snaps. This time I set my drag lighter, tie on another fly....and get slammed a third time! This time my drag works and after a long fight....I pull in a 4lb catfish with three flies in its mouth lol. Sorry I can't upload the photo right now, having issues uploading. But that's my crazy weird story
    I caught a good size bass at the pudd years ago with a meal worm under a bobber from shore, and caught a few cats on spinners.

Quote Originally Posted by old pudd fisher View Post
    I caught a good size bass at the pudd years ago with a meal worm under a bobber from shore, and caught a few cats on spinners.
    I also caught a 4.5lb bass from the pudd on powerbait fishing for trout

Once after spending the night on an end tie in Alimitos Bay,my wife and I were relaxing on the deck of the boat in the afternoon,she cut up some cheese and summer sausage with a few crackers on the side.
    After sitting there a while I thought,man I feel like fishing even though we're just sittin tied up to the dock,so I take a light spinning outfit I have and throw on a piece of sauauge,cast it out and let it soak,I stick in the rod holder and kick back,after a while my wife says I think you got something,I look over and the rod is bendo,much to my surprise I end up catching a 12lb halibut on sausage while tied to the dock!
    Also saw a guy catch a barracuda on a dreadlock that he cut off his own head during a wide open bite on the old Queen of the Sea party boat.

Cya Tuna Vic

Casting a small popper on my fly rod when i caught a small Trout at the PUDD. This was about a foot from the shoreline.

8 lb bass on a crawdad tail while I was night fishing for catfish. Thought it was a good cat till it jumped 6 ft in the air.

I don't know how unusual it is but I caught a 7lb Bow on a Shad colored blade in a major windstorm in 3rd cove at DVL. On another day I caught a 4lb Flathead on a Bluegill colored blade at the East dam and I caught a Pelican on a small shallow running paddletail swimbait at the East Dam...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast