Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Most shocking catch?

Nice, that's some catches to remember. I like the bat though. I think that takes the cake.

I know a guy who caught a bat false casting with a fly rod once, wish I was there when it happened.

I once rope gaffed a rock in the dark off san clemente pier for a friend, it was at night and we forgot the flashlight.
    I successfully stuck it and hauled it over the rail, boy were we disappointed!
    believe you me he still hasn't heard the end of that epic battle with that 8 lb rock,

Mine wasn't a fish but the was the strangest thing ever. While fishing the south jetty in Galveston Texas we got into an epic Spanish Mackerel bite that were a good 3 feet long and if you've never seen one, they're a beautiful cross between a barracuda and a wahoo. Toothiest things in the gulf. We were prepared though with 6" steel leaders and a box full of various spoons. However, the dang things were so greedy that they would fight over the hooked spoon and get the line in their mouths and started taking all of our gear.
    My buddies down to his last leader and grabs an old company logo spoon I gave him years ago and ties it on and says here goes nothing. A couple of casts in he gets hung on the rocks and loses it, he's now out of gear and I'm on my last spoon and leader also and then it happens. All the sudden I get hung up on my last spoon. I start pulling walking around yanking and everything to get it loose and then finally screw it I'm breaking it off. As I pull to break the last lure off and finish the day, it comes loose and I real it in.
    The damn hook on my spoon in the 3 foot surf had gone right through the eye on his steel leader of the corporate logo spoon he had just lost and I got both back. We sat in disbelief for a few minutes, downed another beer and proceeded to catch about 3 more before finally losing the last two setups. Crazy as hell.

Brent
    Last edited by Brent; 06-11-2015 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by twin22s View Post
    I know a guy who caught a bat false casting with a fly rod once, wish I was there when it happened.

I once rope gaffed a rock in the dark off san clemente pier for a friend, it was at night and we forgot the flashlight.
    I successfully stuck it and hauled it over the rail, boy were we disappointed!
    believe you me he still hasn't heard the end of that epic battle with that 8 lb rock,
    I saw a guy battle a PIG at DVL for about 15 minutes while a few boats lingered around trying to see the epic match.

Too bad it was a huge tree that the dude unearthed with his 1000 lb braid. That guy must have been so embarrassed considering his hootin' and hollerin' attracted all boats within earshot. I think I heard someone yell, "YOU NEED A NET *LOL*?!!?" after they saw the twigs break the surface.

How on earth do you not know you hooked a tree and not a fish? Regardless, it was a great time for everyone watching. I'm sure he told everyone that the 20 pounder must have wrapped himself around a tree.

My buddy Bruce once caught an Owl at La Mirada lake. The interesting part about it, the Owl was attracted to his red light up bobber.

Hi guys , I thought about this for a while . One time I caught a tire on a party boat , I was so embarrassed Thinking that only happened in cartoons ! One day 1976 on the sespe creek close to Filmore , I snagged two sea lampreys .One got away and one I beat to death to show my Buddy , It was a high water period and the water was steelhead green ,I was about 2 miles north of the 126 hwy . In 1975 I caught a 13 inch steelhead off the Malibu pier ,I had to do a triple take on the fish for identification . Then released it to the sea !! I met a guy with pictures of 7 to 10 pound steelhead from Malibu creek circa 1970"s

Fishing a surf casting match in the UK, target species were thornback rays - threw my line out as far as I could , 2nd rod went out about half the distance. Thornbacks make your rod tip bounce in a very easy to spot bite. Rod tip on the distance rod started bouncing, so I started reeling in. This was a night match, so we're all wearing head lamps. Saw a flash of white, and it felt heavy (thornbacks are white underneath, and camoflaged on top). Kept reeling in, taking it easy as they have the crushing plates and getting a good hook set can be a tad difficult. Saw another flash of white, thought to myself, excellent, good start to the match. Finally got it to the edge where the surf meets the beach - found myself attached to a plastic chair someone had lost. I can tell ya I fished hard for the rest of the night for the other chairs and hopefully a table.

Came 3rd in the match tho, caught 4 overall, for just over 15lb.

Wurz

*And the buggers running the match wouldnt let me weigh it in. Caught it fair and square on a rod and line too. Made for a comfy wait tho*
    Last edited by gwurzel; 07-08-2015 at 07:14 PM. Reason: QUick update

a 8 ft umbrella out of a local lake,,BUENA VISTA,, while trolling with a Umbrella RIG

Bout 5 yrs ago I think it was posted here

T/B

It's a saltwater story, but I'll share it anyway if I may :)

My stepdad, my mom and I went down to Loreto, Mexico in early April in I believe '02. It's the transition period between a strong yellowtail bite and the northward migration of the dorado in those waters. A strange time to go sportfishing, no doubt, but it lined up with my spring break and we made a family vacation out of it. Even if we mostly pulled up skunks we figured it would be a great getaway.

We were actually doing quite well on the top water for small dorados in the 15-25 lb. class range one day when I got the weird idea. I tied on an 8/0 circle flylined onto 20 lb. mono with a big mackerel and just threw it out there on my spare pole. Set the clicker, put the pole in it's holder and figured I'd just leave it out there on the off chance a real monster was lurking out there. If not, no disappointment as the captain had already assured me it was much too early in the season for anything to hit that other than a big marlin that we simply didn't have the gear to land anyway.

Sure enough, right about when I'd forgotten I ever set it out there (maybe a half hour), that clicker started SCREAMING!!! I grab the pole, tighten up the drag, set the hook and WHAM, I'm on something real here. Seconds later I'm looking off into the water and see him. A big old 60 lb. class bull jumping like you wouldn't believe trying to shake my hook. After a minute or so run, everybody on the boat realized we'd get spooled if they didn't reel up, fire the motor back up and start chasing this big daddy.

We chased him to the boat 5 times with the captain screaming "NO NO CALIENTE!!" He wouldn't gaff the thing for fear of broken gringo legs :) Finally on the 6th pass the captain of the panga felt ok enough to gaff the sucker.

My stepdad, who stands about 6'1" held that sucker up after I got my photos and it's tail was still flopping about 8 inches on the deck of the boat.

We pulled into the Marina to the hoots and hollers of every other gringo and panga captain because they had heard over radio about our huge catch. I felt like a freaking king when we ate his meat that night.

He wasn't my biggest catch (well he was my biggest do-do) or my hardest fight, but given the season we were there and the way it all went down, I can confidently say that it still stands out as my proudest (and certainly most shocking) experience fishing. I'll hit up my parents to see if they still have the photos somewhere so I can post that big daddy.

I saw a guy reel in a trout at Lake Hemet with a line and a fishing rod and reel attached. Found out he lost the rod and reel the week prior when the trout took it into the water and he was unable to grab the rod.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123