Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New, Love to fish & Need help!

Default New, Love to fish & Need help!

Hi everyone,

Just joined and just got my fishing license. I know nothing about fishing but have had much fun and some luck fishing Santa Monica Pier so I thought I'd get my license and here we are.

I need the full monty, I would like to know what would be good to get in the form of:

rod/reel - line - lures - bait - weights - hooks - etc...

I would like to start with a good base for what I'm sure is going to be a summer of fishing SoCal lakes and streams. I've read the threads and I'm sure the experts on here can help. thanks in advance and I'll post my experiences with pics soon.

Welcome!

I think if you get a medium action spinning rod, with a decent reel that comes with an extra spool, you can cover a lot of bases. You can put 4 and 8 pound test on the spools, and you'll be covered for a wide gamut of situations, including stream and lake fishing. (Although with our drought, don't know how many streams will be fishable)

Obviously, I'd have to know your budet before I go off recommending specific rods and reels.

Secondly, it depends on what type of fish you are going to be targeting before I can make recommendations on lures and terminal tackle. For example, fishing for catfish is different than fishing for bass than fishing for trout.

Hi DarkShadow,

thanks for your reply. My budget is modest but workable and I like to eat what I catch so I don't think I want to be fishing for catfish. i'll look into a good medium action rod/reel combo and start from there.

You came to the wrong place if you love to fish. Nobody here fishes. They just argue politics and religion.

Welcome aboard, mate...

D,shadows is spot on on this one.

Nothing teaches someone like fishing next to, or close to others that are catching.

Spend time on the water The learning is the funest part and makes the final outcome<catching> that much more rewarding.

Keep it simple at 1st,,Night crawlers will catch everything and go from there,enjoy the outdoors.

WELCOME to FNN
    TRAIL BLAZER

thanks for the great advice everyone. see you on the water.

# 10 THROUGH #4 BAITHOLDER HOOKS

1/8 TO 1OZ SLIDING SINKERS

a bag of small swivels

a bucket of crawlers and your off and running

o,,,and learn to tie a good know,,,,,maby practice the pallomar knot its simple and bad to the bone.

Mono and braid EATS bad knots

I'll have to go shopping tonight. Now where is a good place to get my feet wet (so to speak) preferably somewhere local (I live 2 minutes from Macarthur Park but I don't want to be pulling Jimmy Hoffa out of there).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Legg Lake 06 07 2015.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	46440Had a nice time at Legg Lake yesterday. Talked to a lot of people and got some nice tips. even caught this bad boy...
    Last edited by Knetrider; 06-09-2015 at 10:54 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast