Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where the heck are the fish at Irvine Lake ? Bass - Fresh Water - Catfish

Default Where the heck are the fish at Irvine Lake ? Bass - Fresh Water - Catfish

Ok so before you start telling me its a called fishing not catching for a reason, I am completely aware of that.
    I was always very hesitant on going to Irvine Lake because to tell you the truth I never heard many good things about it. That being said this information was coming from weekend warriors that might give it a shot twice year.

This is the deal I grew up fishing at Lake Mission Viejo , The Sierras and a reservoir in Orange.
    I live in Orange and recently purchased a Bass Boat.
    I have went fishing every Sunday for the last six weeks at Irvine w/ not a lot of success. I only caught no fish once and have never caught more than two.
    I fish mainly for bass using Plastic worms,lizards , night crawlers, flipping hogs.
    I have had the most success at the red clay cliffs and the point to the very left of Sierra Cove but have covered all regions.

I am interested to see if anyone will share w/ me any spots for Bass or Catfish. I have only been targeting Bass thus far.
    I am not looking for your secret spots just good areas to target at Irvine Lake. Be it at the flats , dam , boat dock and what type of tackle was being used.
    Also am looking for the depth of water people have had success at .
    Also looking for times you have had the most success. I have caught all my fish before 9:30 am and then it just shuts off.

Thanks for checking out this thread - I will see you guys on the water.

JC

Rather than looking directly for bass, invest some time at Irvine looking for cover on structure....Look for rock piles with a bit of access to deep water. (what is considered deep for Irvine anyway.) Find some rock with some wood on it. Irvine is a mudhole. Find the rock, you will find the fish.

Not sure about catfish, but Ill bet you can catch catfish anywhere on that lake.

Good luck.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vine.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	46396

we found a couple...... Cranks in the flats, Jigs on rocky points and a few a rig fish here and there... flukes also! PM if you need more direction!

Irvine can be one tricky place! I seriously hated and i mean hated it a few months back but once you start finding the swing of things its actually a really good fishery!

wait wait wati!! I think me and my buddy jake ran into you out there in the back right corner near the damn?? I got the red tracker 190!

Great Info - Thanks

Makes me feel better other guys are hit and miss.
    I'll find them .... Like you said you know there there.
    JC

I am not sure man -Maybe - Theirs a lot of boats out there. I have a Stratos 176.

JC

Dark Chatter bait seems to be doing decent... I leave you with that!

They are there. Generally speaking it isn't a hard lake at all to fish. If you drop shot 15 to 20 feet right not you should not have a problem catching more than two fish. Try and fish uphill if possible.

gogreeenz4 I am glad you opened up to giving the lake more of a shot. You weren't too stoked on it a couple months ago. If you see me in my camo ranger, say hi. I should be back there in a couple weeks. Havasu this weekend and fishing a different lake next weekend.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7eaba367ba8e1223a0d80061bfc48ed9.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	46397

Quote Originally Posted by gogreeenz4 View Post
    Dark Chatter bait seems to be doing decent... I leave you with that!
    Yes, chatterbait.
    I have seen all you guys before. I'm the regular solo rental guy with 8 rods in the boat typically.

The shad are spawning, or have spawned, so keep that in your hat next time you go. You could literally put a shad bait on a dropshot setup and catch fish everywhere if you don't have the right tackle others have mentioned above.

Don Spencer did a show for the lake recently and it is posted in a previous thread. Pretty spot on and will put you in the know accurately.
    Last edited by Stinkbait; 06-03-2015 at 07:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast