Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Gregory or Big Bear?

Default Gregory or Big Bear?

I'm heading up the mountain this weekend. We're (Wife, daughter, and I) camping at Green Valley, will fish GVL one day. But due to price I don't want to pay that much to fish both days. Was going to hit Big Bear or Gregory for the 2nd day... I want to fish for trout and catfish mostly. Anyone have any info on which is better these days? What's the water level is like at each place??? I haven't been to either in about a year...
    Thanks!

PS: how much does it cost to park and fish at gregory now? Last time I was up there it was still free...
    Last edited by goodguy; 06-01-2015 at 04:36 PM.

Strapped for cash go to BB. Gregory Parking is 10 and each fisherman pays an additional 8. They have a web site that explains all the fees and when they stock

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
    Strapped for cash go to BB. Gregory Parking is 10 and each fisherman pays an additional 8. They have a web site that explains all the fees and when they stock
    Oh wow... I thought gregory was cheaper than that. Thanks, BBL it is!

I'll have a rod for trout and one for catfish... Anyone know the best catfish bait to use at BBL? I've only fished trout, bass, and carp at BBL...
    Last edited by goodguy; 06-02-2015 at 08:04 AM.

Gregory was cheaper. This year they jacked up the rates after just one year of managing the lake, same management firm that runs DVL. Private plants have not been that great either although they are starting to put a few fish in and with some of the plants a few fish is just about the amount.

I was about to say the Gregory price is $4 per person but it looks like they raised it... great... You can avoid the parking fee by just parking along the road. There's many places along the lake you can do so.

All that said, go to Big Bear. Better fishing and it's free.

Yes there is street parking available but do not and I repeat do not park in the lots and not pay! There is no attendant and only a box in the lots to pay your fees, quite a few have had their vehicles towed and it will cost you hundreds to get them out. Really sucks for some that just don't notice the box and signs then get towed away.

I am not a fan of that management company.

delete info
    Last edited by sky; 06-01-2021 at 11:23 PM.