Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dam Stripers

Default Dam Stripers

I've been getting a lot of good information from a FNN member on how to fish the dam at Castaic for stripers. One method is to bait up a bloodworm or lugworm, toss it out on a c-rig and wait for a bite. I assume that the worm is just crawling around on the lake bottom and hopefully a striper comes by and sees it. I have zero experience fishing with blood or lug worms. Never even handled one. So, my question is why not blow-up the blood or lug worm with a little air using a worm blower like those used to blow-up a night crawler when fishing for trout? This way the blood or lug worm floats a little off the bottom which makes it easier for the stripers to see and keeps it out of any bottom weeds. Good idea?

Be careful with those blood worms. They have sharp and big teeth. That's why they are called blood worms.

Since you've never handled them becareful. Treat them like you would a rattlesnake. Pinch them behind the head so they can't strike you and sink those teeth in. Once you get the hook in the worm quickly release the head in a flinging manner because they can strike up to 1/3 their body length.

You might need a buddy to help you blow it up while you focus on holding the head, but your theory sounds solid

I know a guy who once had a tub of those fall in his lap and the lid came off. Took 38 stitches to sew him up.

Becareful out there and good luck, hope to see a report
    Last edited by cutbait; 06-01-2015 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cutbait View Post
    Be careful with those blood worms. They have sharp and big teeth. That's why they are called blood worms.

Since you've never handled them becareful. Treat them like you would a rattlesnake. Pinch them behind the head so they can't strike you and sink those teeth in. Once you get the hook in the worm quickly release the head in a flinging manner because they can strike up to 1/3 their body length.

You might need a buddy to help you blow it up while you focus on holding the head, but your theory sounds solid

I know a guy who once had a tub of those fall in his lap and the lid came off. Took 38 stitches to sew him up.

GTFO!!!! Are you serious?????

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    GTFO!!!! Are you serious?????
    Would I kid about something as serious?

LMAO!!!

Oh hell yes, this is classic CB, lol...

It's much safer to throw an A-Rig with frogs on it. It's a Striper killer, it was reported in WON last year so it must be the truth......

Gahhh, poor dude. Probably the worst knob job he ever had...

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    It's much safer to throw an A-Rig with frogs on it. It's a Striper killer, it was reported in WON last year so it must be the truth......
    Yup, and they gotta be TOPWATER frogs at that!

I'm aware of the physiology and those things have always creeped me out, but the STORY really makes me clinch up my butt cheeks if you know what I mean.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast