Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BAKO BOYS, Yellowtail, 100 lb Bluefins, Sav On tackle excitement and the best friends

Default BAKO BOYS, Yellowtail, 100 lb Bluefins, Sav On tackle excitement and the best friends

What a weekend! I have to apologize as this report will take quite awhile to read. Way too much fun!

It all started with a call to MikesOcean last week. I had a vacation with the family cancelled due to a death in my wifes family and still had the days off. Mike and I quickly decided to chase yellows on the 1/2 day. I called Trailblazer immediately because when one of us go on a trip we invite the other... ALWAYS.. He didn't bat an eye and said lets go! My son Eddie was down, and a new found buddy from Coalinga named Derrick was all in!!!

We had invited Double A, FishingwithDave, DK4885, Fishbones, and Ron Fishinone. All said they had plans or just not interested in Yellowtails and Tuna.

With the group of 5 set, the next step was to plan the boat and all. Trailbazer had contacted Webmaster to see if he was interested and Webmaster was 100% down, but in the meantime I took the initiative to book all 5 tickets for the SO CAL on Friday. Sorry Jeff, Trailblazer and I were on two wavelengths.. next time man.. We do appreciate it.

With the drive from Bakersfield for a meager half day not too appealing we talked and decided to jump on an overnighter Friday night for the Bluefin bite turning on.

We wake up and leave Bakersfield by 3 am and arrive at Pierpoint at 3 am. Kind of disappointed Etucker was a no show. MO fished with him on the 1/2 day tues and convinced him to fish Friday with us. Anyway we jump on the So Cal and head to new waters. Apparently Thurs numbers weren't so hot and they were looking for the school.

After a couple hours the Captn decides to head back to the old spots and we found the birds and the boils working. Great boils!! My son Eddie was the first to hookup.. fought him like a champ, the deckhand worked hard to get that fish on the boat. Lots of guys on the boat and ugly, ugly tangles.. anyway I enjoyed every second, I put my rod down and watched.

MO led the charge to get the kid to eat the heart... I'm impressed, he handled it like a champ

Just as Eddie had hooked that fish, Derrick of Coalinga hooked up... He fought his Yellow to color and just when it started the death circle the hook pulled... DANG!!

Next set of boils TB and I throw the Iron and both of us get swirled and boiled on multiple times... Just didn't eat... I look down to see Eddie hooked up!!!! ALRIGHT!!! the kids on fire.. I reel in and watch again just as some other guy comes running through the crowd hooked up... ITS MO!!!! Cool beans.. both on a double.

Both of them work their fish and quickly hits the deck. Eddie 2, MO 1, Farmer Derrick, TB and CB toilet flushed...

Couple more boils and MO hooks his second fish... This time he was using his REVO and had a nicer fish. He was only 40 yds from being spooled before the fish finally turned. 30 lbs and the jack pot winner....

Eddie 2, MO 2 {Jackpot}, Farmer Derrick, TB and CB toilet flused by multiple fish

I'll tell you what kind of friend MikesOcean had, and this is all about Karma... He felt bad we had driven from Bakersfield and the rarity of us being able to chase these things that he actually gave us his two fish. Man, what generosity... He had also lent us some surface Irons and YO Yos... which were given back.... huh Scott?

Each one of us was able to bring home one fish.. Awesome, awesome....

1/2 day was over and we all had lunch together before MO was going to take us to Sav ON tackle and get us hooked up for our Bluefin trip...Sav On tackle was great and we have to say we are JEALUOS.. wish we had a quality shop like that here.

We were shooting the bull outside the front door and some fat, out of shape dude walks out with three 10 ft spinning phenix rods. We all thought it was strange. {didn't look like the A typical Phenix customer}... 30 seconds goes by and Sav On staff comes out and asks if we saw a fat *** with 3 rods... "yeah he went that way".... They send an employee to go look for him. Derrick, Scott and I go to follow for assistance and there the guy is in the alley waiting for his getaway ride. Derrick and I were going to watch and try and pick up a plate number but Trailblazer never being one to stand by idle while evil and bad people do their things walked up to the guy and politely told him that the staff was saying he stole those rods.

The guy shook his head and said only "NO"... but his body language was saying "OH ****"... he started to walk away {cant run because he is 400 lbs}.. Trailblazer and us walk behind him trying to talk sense into him. No response so Trailblazer closes the gap and tugs his shirt to turn him and the guy makes a half *** "get away from me swing"... TB snatched the rods and walked away towards me where I got the rods and handed back to an employee.

At that point we were done with the guy but he was so fat, so out of shape that he made it 30 more feet or so and had to lean against the fence. A group of us, employees and customers decided to hold the guy there till the police came. Police showed up and got him... 800 dollars in rods

The guys eyes were rolling back in his head and really looked like it was a heart attack and the Paramedics were called and he went to the hospital before jail I'm sure.

The owner and staff at Sav On were very thankful for the help.. forgive me, I'm bad with names. Great times!!!

So we bid MO adieu and head back to Pierpoint full of adrenaline and hop onto the Toronado for the overnighter.. Hop on the boat, at 9pm asleep at 11.. Slept good, calm seas..

Wake up at 430 to flat seas. Swap stories with the other early risers and as grey light approached we saw the fleet.. OH BOY!!! the Bluefin rumors spread quick.

Took a few hours before our first boil, had one fish landed off of it at around 30 lbs. The rest of the morning the crew was able to scratch out a fish or two per boil. We did see an awesome sight... There was a 4 ft plus Bluefin boiling on the trolling rigs in the wake.. We saw it clear as day... Beautiful.

Boils increased around time to head home at 2 pm.. around 1 pm a couple guys boated a 50 lb and 64 lb Bluefin.. Gorgeous animals

The boat landed 7 and lost 7...

Look at the colors on this fish

What a blast!!!!

Some things that pop out to me

Watching my son get worked by two 25 lb yellowtail and whoop them back, landing both flawlessly

I have great friends to fish with and talk with through life

A long weekend of fishing where nothing but positive Karma and good things were done for eachother and our friends

Made some great friends on both boats

El Nino is bad to the bone and you So Cal boys best take advantage of it this year and your truly blessed with that Pacific Ocean

My boy hung on his first hardcore fishing trip

MikesOcean is a Yellowtail beast

Trailblazer defeats bad guys

Derrick is the real deal when it comes to dedication, knowledge of fishing and most importantly making it fun while doing it.

There are some fine !@# women that fish those overnighters..

This pic is only missing a handful of my closest fishing buddies

Secondary report..... Remember when I said MO gave us those two fish?... Karma paid him back today,,,,, MO took the Silver Bullet out with FishingPuto and landed 6 more Yellows today... He said the charter boats were following him around today... HAHAHAHA...

Thanks for reading, sorry for such lengths. One of my best weekends fishing ever.. My boy will remember this long after I'm gone and I certainly won't forget it until then.

Thanks MO, TB and Derrick of Coalinga
    Last edited by cutbait; 05-31-2015 at 09:22 PM.

Thank you my brother!

Great report,,Id fish with this group of guys any time any where,,,,,,,,what a blast!

Derrick,, a stand up guy

M O,, Dude your the best

Eddie,,,w o w,, im so proud for you CONGRATS!

And you CUTBAIT,, Are truly A BROTHER.

TRAIL BLAZER
    Last edited by trail blazer; 05-31-2015 at 09:38 PM.

When I heard Bako was invading SoCal, I knew it would be a blast.
    this is one of those trips that's gonna haunt me for awhile not being able to make it.
    Congrats Eddie, yellowtail slayer!!!
    TB, love the way you handled that f'n thief... I hate thieves.
    Most would have reached...
    for their cell phone :(
    Way to take care of business big brother
    I'm sure CB kept the group laughing while they were pulling in fish. Lol
    You'll get em next time I'm sure.
    Looks like it truly is Mikes ocean!!!
    Way to slay BOZ!
    And, he reaffirmed his true colors. A truly generous, selfless, great friend.
    And, you were rewarded today buddy, big time!!!

No apologies necessary enjoyed your report and pics,good times great friends,and seeing your son eat the Y/T heart brings back many fond memories,thanks for that!

Cya Tuna Vic

Nice report Mike, it is good to see all you guys out together! Day couldn't be complete without a big fat thief, LOL LOL..............Glad you guys were able to make it happen................Dave

Great report! That's a lot of terrific memories packed into a few days...nothing beats watching your kid catch quality fish.

great report. nothing better than sharing the rail with freinds and family

No apologies necessary, this is a great report! The kid gets a priceless memory for life, the guys get a great weekend of camaraderie plus some fish, TB gets the bad guy, MO slays, and tucky gets the skunk for bailing out. The line-up pic says it all and will be a great wall hanger!

Great job guys!

TB, too bad you guys couldn't have captured that slow-mo apprehension on film, would've made great FNN fodder. Dude, you're an animal, lol...

Thanks guys...

Almost forgot about the 100 lb bluefin...

So the Thunderbird landed one, and claimed to have lost two 200 lbers that broke 65 lb.

We saw a private boat chase a big fish for over an hour and a half. I checked bloodydecks and sure enough t b is guys had three of those hook ups and lost all three.

They all said to small of line, our boats break offs were because the same.

These are 20 lbers guys..

Man I had a blast this weekend one that will be hard to beat. Watching CB Jr. Get worked an his eye explode was awesome. Watching my bait slow trolled on the surface into the boil and the wake coming off a surface running yellow to clobber it an pull him all the way to the boat just to pull the hook. It was followed by a loud F^#% sob tantrum. We cant have em all. Glad i got to fish with the Bako Boy crew some undorgettable people. Nicest group ive ever met. Its rare you meet up for a fishing trip with 1 guy youve talked to on the internet and 3 strangers but feel like you fit in like youve been buds for years. Really looking forward to future crime stoppers episodes and fish killin'.

Tight lines guys
    Derrick

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast