Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Wind question

Default Wind question

How much of a factor is wind when it comes to fishing? I am talking about a calm wind, not something that is going to blow you off of the lake.

A lot for Bass, except maybe those high pressure east winds. Hit those wind blown banks hard. Fish right in front of the mudlines or in the vegetation. The wind blows plankton and other organic matter that Shad feed on to those windblown banks. Where there's Shad, there's LMB, even Stripey. Throw squarebills, blades or any other Shad imitation baits, soft plastics work too. Bass are generally opportunists and will eat their favorite prey if it's thrown in their faces...
    Last edited by HawgZWylde; 05-30-2015 at 02:13 PM.

Perris
    All pending on what you're fishing for and what your presentation is. With about all species of freshwater game fish, they are usually in a certain depth of water where they are comfy and can find food.
    Even with a ripple on the surface you can still use top water baits which can splash or make different patterns on the surface to attract fish. First step in getting a fish to bite is the attraction.
    Good luck out there.
    Tight Lines
    TTFM

Sorry for not being more specific guys. I'm talking about bass and striper. I fished Perris on Thursday for a evening session and my buddy and I found a spot that the fish finder was going crazy and we hooked up every cast for about 2 minutes. Then once the wind died so did the bite. So I figured there was a correlation between the 2.

Any number of things could have shut them down. Were you still metering them? Wind also diffuses the surface, in other words they can't see you when the surface is rough. I don't know how deep the fish you were catching were but sudden movement or noise can and will shut them down, especially on our highly pressured lakes. Sometimes when you catch x amount out of the school they will get spooked...