Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who's fished cats out of here before?

Default who's fished cats out of here before?

hello

new angler to the area (from az) and would like to learn to fish cats out of some of the local areas

i have read a bit about the lake and some of the experiences everyone has had here so far and i have a few questions.
    if anyone could answer one or more that would be much appreciated

- i need new gear. was planning on getting a 7' baitcasting rod with a ~8-15lb line. was going to use slip sinker rig w/ mackerel
    does this look good?

- is an ~8-15lb line sufficient for the lake?

- am i missing anything? :p

thank you .. i am also excited for the big stock coming in on the 5th of june!

Quote Originally Posted by SunWhiskers View Post
    hello

new angler to the area (from az) and would like to learn to fish cats out of some of the local areas

i have read a bit about the lake and some of the experiences everyone has had here so far and i have a few questions.
    if anyone could answer one or more that would be much appreciated

- i need new gear. was planning on getting a 7' baitcasting rod with a ~8-15lb line. was going to use slip sinker rig w/ mackerel
    does this look good?

- is an ~8-15lb line sufficient for the lake?

- am i missing anything? :p

thank you .. i am also excited for the big stock coming in on the 5th of june!
    First of all, "I'm assuming your fishing from a boat." Most but not all of the really good catches all come from a boat. (if you need a boat we will talk) lol Have you ever heard that expression, "When in Roma do as the Romans do!!!" If you believe in that, most of the better fisherman fish with spinning reels with the bails open with no weight. (from a boat of course) The two best baits by far are shrimp and Mackerel!!!! Most people add some kind of scents to their bait. That's a brief introduction, I'll let others chime in for their opinions. If you need some more advice, (just ask) "I'm probably going myself to the opener in the Morning!!!!" I already have my own game plan based upon my experience of the last 2 openers. If you wondering how well we did, 30 5-10 lbs 2 years ago. (they allowed C&R then) and last year was good too!!!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 05-27-2015 at 02:24 PM.

Use a boat.

2/0 or 3/0 circle hooks with fly lined bait no weights. I use pike mackerel soaked in attractant. 15 lb test is good.

Some anglers use 30 - 50 lb, 5/0 or 6/0 hooks, and whole mackerel. These are the guys targeting the lunkers and they will target structures.

Keep in mind water levels are down and have been declining for the past several years.
    Last edited by hotramen; 05-28-2015 at 02:47 PM.

Thanks for the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by hotramen View Post
    Use a boat.

2/0 or 3/0 circle hooks with fly lined bait no weights. I use pike mackerel soaked in attractant. 15 lb test is good.

Keep in mind water levels are down and have been declining for the past several years.
    I was curious about this (sounds a bit like out in Phx too). Are there better places to fish cats elsewhere? I thought about trying my luck at the ducts, or going to SARL. Both aren't too far but I don't know the right fishing holes around here yet ;)

Thanks for the responses.

I was curious about this (sounds a bit like out in Phx too). Are there better places to fish cats elsewhere? I thought about trying my luck at the ducts, or going to SARL. Both aren't too far but I don't know the right fishing holes around here yet ;)
    Some of the local Regional Parks can offer some great catfishing at times!!!!

oh and do they sell mackerel at the bait shop?
    otherwise going to prep a few things before i go this weekend and next :)

oh and do they sell mackerel at the bait shop?
    otherwise going to prep a few things before i go this weekend and next :)
    They sell it all at the bait shop. Mackerel - Shrimp - As well as scents - Is all in stock !

Good luck out there! Should be a blast!

All of these responses are great. And FYI.... (I produce television shows for FOX), we are currently filming and producing an episode of Angler Chronicles
    called "Catfishin' 101" to air June 14 at 9:30 A.M. on FOX Sports West (same channel as the Angels and Ducks).
    It is all about how to catch catfish (both Blue and Channel) at Irvine Lake. I know you will find it very informative.

Next week Irvine Lake will be stocking 10,000 pounds of quality size cats. The catfish opener is slated for June 5. Visit www.irvinelake.net for details including summer hours.

I will post more info here on FNN and on the Irvine Lake Facebook as the date gets closer. Thanks for your interest.

Danny Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by VineVideos View Post
    we are currently filming and producing an episode of Angler Chronicles
    called "Catfishin' 101" to air June 14 at 9:30 A.M. on FOX Sports West
    best news i've heard all day!

Castaic has big cats saw a guy on the bank with a fish that was 50 or 60 pounds and two others 25 to 30 pounds . Try every muddy cove and mud lines off the points are good too . In June I would target cats in my bass boat and have 30 fish days. My best was 10 pounds there . Kern Counties lake Isabella Has good Cat fishing and you can fish 24 hours . Had some there at 13 pounds . Cats eat it all ,I would bring Bacon , worms ,cheese , shrimp , Mack . They were my favorite spots !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast