Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: who's fished cats out of here before?

I prefer 25lb berkely big game, I like 7 1/2 foot flippin sticks, and reels like a curado 300 or calcutta 400 size. And get some good quality hooks and bigger hooks for bigger fish if that's what your after, otherwise generally speaking, smaller sized baits for smaller fish. And the bite gets alot better around sept oct too. Good luck dude

Check out this summer issue of the Fish Taco Chronicles there is a article inside called Catfishing 101 by a lake manager whom has been working at the lake for 16+years. Its a free magazine and is available at most tackle stores.
    Lots of good posts. Fly line your baits, scents such as Bite On Cajun and make sure you bring a BIG net just in case you hook a giant.

no one is putting weights on their line eh? well darn, i just got some new 1/2oz eggs
    if anyone's out tomorrow morning, you might just catch me on the shore!

Sometimes they eat other stuff!

Got this one last year fishing for trout in the flats... 12 1/2# on 3# Maxima Ultragreen and Berkely pinch crawler
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014 Feb 13 Irvine Lake catfish 12.5 lbs.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	46373  

Quote Originally Posted by Indo-angler View Post
    Sometimes they eat other stuff!

Got this one last year fishing for trout in the flats... 12 1/2# on 3# Maxima Ultragreen and Berkely pinch crawler
    I never fished growing up, but my kids have taken an interest.

I want to take my kids fishing this weekend. Since my one son mentioned catfish, I was thinking of the opener at Irvine Lake. Has anyone tried the kids lagoon there? We would be fishing from the shore wherever we fish. Irvine is a bit of a drive from our home in the San Fernando Valley, but I'm up for it for their benefit.

Any tips? Quite honestly I don't care what we catch. I just want them to catch a fish and be happy.
    Last edited by Quatermain; 06-04-2015 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quatermain View Post
    I never fished growing up, but my kids have taken an interest.

I want to take my kids fishing this weekend. Since my one son mentioned catfish, I was thinking of the opener at Irvine Lake. Has anyone tried the kids lagoon there? We would be fishing from the shore wherever we fish. Irvine is a bit of a drive from our home in the San Fernando Valley, but I'm up for it for their benefit.

Any tips? Quite honestly I don't care what we catch. I just want them to catch a fish and be happy.
    2/0-4/0 J hook, 10-15 pound line
    Marshmallow plus shrimp and a sliding sinker
    inflated worm or worm with marshmallow with sliding sinker
    fly lined shrimp or piece of mackerel
    cast the line near any grass or deep areas of the lagoon

Thanks, let you know how it goes!

Skunked out both weekends. You'd think I'd have caught something during the catfish opener.
    A guy down the bank about 40 feet from me caught a nice channel around 7am... using nightcrawlers w/ cajun bite (go figure this was what I was using for bait last week.. this week was shrimp heads)

Not sure what I'm refining next week.. I'll get my catfish eventually

I was skunked last weekend as well.

JC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12