Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surprise at the Doc

Default Surprise at the Doc

Decided to hit Dockweiler today because it was my last day of break, before summer classes would begin. I forgot how bad driving on the 405 during a weekday can be in the end this trip was totally worth it. Since, I hit the Bu the other day and saw that the sand crabs were coming back, just maybe the corbina were too. Without seeing any signs of corbina, I switched to the trusty ole lucky craft.
    I worked a deep trough and the only portion of the beach that looked fishy. After I few cast I get hit and it is pulling drag with many head shakes. At first I am thinking maybe it's a halibut? However, after a few minutes I get a close look at the specimen and to my surprise it is a Striped Bass!

I have never caught one of these beasts from the surf before and boy can they put up a great fight. The second Striper was the largest one , taping out to about to 23 inches.

As soon as my LC hit the water my drag began to sing. These guys are amazing fighters. After my 3rd striper, the bite died down and I went to check out the jetty but nothing there.

Overall, a great trip and a new species to add to my surf species list. All fished were released. Oh and what is the size limit for striped bass?
    Fish Count
    3 Striped Bass
    1 happy fisherman

WoW .... 3 stripers ? Congrats ! That is going to be a day to remember !

Great frikin job man
    You must have hit a school of them at the perfect time
    You cant ever go wrong with the LC

Nice job man congrats! !!

what a great catch. know stripers are great on the east coast, but rarely do you hear of many caught on the west side.

Not sure if there's a size limit on stripes,but nice catches regardless,I' think 23" would surely be legal though.

Cya Tuna Vic

good stuff! WTG, awesome!!

Absolutely SICK.....It's been deader than crap out there and you hit the "Striper Lottery"

Serious kudos to you sir. It's gonna be hard to top that day for sure. I bet Doc is gonna look like a charter boat over the next few days.
    I don't know if there is actually a size limit for stripers but it is totally awesome that you released the fish. Some guys just don't get it. Our striper population in the southern region needs every little bit of help it can get.
    On behalf of every SW fisherman in SoCal.....
    Thank you for becoming part of the solution rather than PART OF THE PROBLEM!

----------<><
    Last edited by bones; 05-27-2015 at 10:18 AM.

Time to go get that lottery ticket! You probably beat higher odds that those winning numbers, not only by nailing a surf jailbird, but THREE? Awesome!!!!

Congrats!!!
    Don

size limit for striped bass:
    "(c) Minimum size: 18 inches total length except in waters listed in (d) below." (from CDF&G)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast