Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Memorial day vacation package (surf and fish) $0

Default Memorial day vacation package (surf and fish) $0

Having hard time deciding whether to surf or fish, I did both, just to be sure. After a longboard session at Leo Carillo and a lunch I brought along, I launched into my trusted kelp patch as the tide started to fill up.
    Usual setup: 9 ft board, light rod and reel, jigs baited with squid and supplies in a fanny pack, with one new addition: a stringer with intention to keep something for dinner. I had to really watch the sets as they were hammering the shore. I don’t mind tumbling but don’t like to lose hats, glasses and manage both board and rod while providing free entertainment for beach goers. Once in kelp it was almost flat and very peaceful. Now, people keep telling me stories about shark attacks and how legs dangling from boards are being chewed, but I like to think about it as a lot lower risk environment as opposed to driving to your fishing hole (3 people killed in bad crash on PCH nearby). And way more fun. No whales today, but sea lion was there and dolphins cruised next to me as usual.
    The fishing started slow. Water was murky and variable temperatures: pockets of warm near /under kelp and cold in-between. After about 30 min of exploring I hook into a13 “ calico to beat the skunk.
    A bit later I got a heavy pull on the bottom. I thought – rockfish (the place has consistent shallow –water rock-fishing if you find rocks). But it turned out to be a 15 “ sand bass. I released it but it swam back and landed on top of my board. Being a good host I offered sandy a free piece of squid but I guess he was just feeling social.
    Then, as I start making my way back around and through the kelp I got a nice heavy load at the bottom, drag making a couple short Zs. I patiently wiggle it through layers of kelp it got under, relying on fish’s help and here it was a 19” calico that I brought a stringer for. He completely destroyed the soft jig and was trying to do work on my fingers next while I was holding him and tying up.
    Now, that created a new challenge: I had to get off the board into water, and, while holding my board and making sure the rod doesn’t slide into the ocean turn it to face the leash loop which I can’t reach by sitting (all while holding calico who was patiently squeezing his teeth into my thumb). Tied the stringer, up on board and called it a day, landed safely, cleaned the fish and took a breather. Plenty of exercise and a couple nice fillets for the day, just the way I like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Calico 1.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	46336   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Calico 2.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	46337  

That sounds like a fun day full of adventure
    I've seen a couple of people fish off longboards and man, I wish I could do it.
    The fact that I cant swim sucks bigtime.
    Nice checker as well, keep it goin'

Nice going on the pig checker! Sounds like two good options with one board. Looks like you made the right choice to hang a line when you did.

Don

Excellent report!!Love that campground there as well as the surf, when it gets big its kinda sketch around the rock LOL My stick is 10-6 so it feels like a small bass boat haha!!
    Nice job!!And you have both feet!!!Cheers!!

iLLest: I too prefer not to swim around with a rod in one hand a pliers, etc in others while my board is being tossed on shore , so flat days of summer with warmer water would be welcome. But I think it is easier than loosing control of kayak with all the gear.
    bachibooy: It's a good setup for C and R - and I rarely keep fish, but needed extra challenge- I knew I can get them but needed proof beyond unfingerprintable thumbs..
    Riverdale: Yes that area is nice but gets a lot of traffic , divers/spear come too, but lately visibility has been bad and the ones that came out only had the exercise of getting through moving kelp, seeing nothing but few crabs. With 10-6 board and summer conditions you'll be well set, may even throw few extras ( a grill and a cooler)..

Stop by your neighborhood grocery store early or late and head to back and "borrow" a plastic milk crate. You will see (2) sizes, you want the small one. Secure it to the nose of your board with (4) bungee cords and now you have a deadly & stealthy fishing machine. You can use PVC pipe to create rod holders with zip ties too. Now you can slow troll on your way out to your desired spot. The crate is great for holding beverages, terminal tackle, pliers etc.....

Thanks for the report!