Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did a little trout fishing in the hills - [ Video + Report]

1. Default Did a little trout fishing in the hills - [ Video + Report]

Took the opportunity to check out a favorite creek with a long hike back into the local mountains.

Really glad for the overcast weather. The hike really beat me up and getting cooked in the heat was the last thing I needed.

Video:

Water levels were half-decent, considering the drought. Guess the little rain we have been receiving has been keeping this particular creek happy. I noticed a LOT of little trout, much fewer large ones. Must have reproduced well prior to the drought and the little guys are mostly all thats left now. Managed to land a 10'', felt great, small for anywhere else but a massive fish for this creek.

Probably my last trout trip until the cold weather comes back in the fall. Don't want to stress these guys out if it's really hot out.

Tight lines!
    Last edited by carpanglerdude; 05-23-2015 at 10:01 AM.

Cool man. I sub'd your channel a while back, didn't realize you were on this board. Do you ever fishing the Santa ana river? I going to school in san bernardino and will be exploring this soon. Cool vids, keep up the great uploads.

"Probably my last trout trip until the cold weather comes back in the fall. Don't want to stress these guys out if it's really hot out" Gotta ask....why post videos of you catching trout and after trout and then say, "But it is so bad out now, I won't be back till Fall? SoCal local creeks are mostly at critical survival stage right now. No water coming through has silted the creeks destroying traditional holding areas and spawning gravel beds...water temps are right at the edge of being too warm and some some of the last creeks to hold wild fish are being killed to protect the the "protected" frog on the Angeles National Forest. When done, there will only be a few waters that will hold trout. There is a reason that you are only seeing tiny fish and putting more pressure on them is not the way to insure their survival. There will be no more stocking of trout that can maybe survive and reproduce after a season (Only triploid trout are stocked now). Leave the wild guys alone till we get some rain and get the system working again.

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
    "Probably my last trout trip until the cold weather comes back in the fall. Don't want to stress these guys out if it's really hot out" Gotta ask....why post videos of you catching trout and after trout and then say, "But it is so bad out now, I won't be back till Fall? SoCal local creeks are mostly at critical survival stage right now. No water coming through has silted the creeks destroying traditional holding areas and spawning gravel beds...water temps are right at the edge of being too warm and some some of the last creeks to hold wild fish are being killed to protect the the "protected" frog on the Angeles National Forest. When done, there will only be a few waters that will hold trout. There is a reason that you are only seeing tiny fish and putting more pressure on them is not the way to insure their survival. There will be no more stocking of trout that can maybe survive and reproduce after a season (Only triploid trout are stocked now). Leave the wild guys alone till we get some rain and get the system working again.
    That's right!!!! You shouldn't be posting fishing videos on a fishing web site. You should be instead insulting other members in the General discussion section. OR selling your fishing tackle in the classified section!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
    Yup, the "protected" frogs that were put back after not being there for a half a century or more. So when those frogs are in abundance again, can we eat them? But you forgot to mention the Steelheads. They don't want the Rainbow Trout competing with the Rainbow Trout, I mean the Steelheads...

The folks who are responsible are the wonderful folks from the the Center for Biological Diversity who have wrecked havoc over the west. They sue the Forest Service and Fish and Wildlife and they respond by closing even more areas. I was at two lakes in the Eastern Sierra last year that always held fish...small but there. Both lakes were barren and we were told when we got back to the Ranger station to return the rented bear cans that they had been killed because of the Red legged frog. Not sure that any frogs have been relocated....the frogs are pretty much dying on their own around the world from a strange fungus. We were told when they were killing Big Rock Creek that they tested the fish found for Steelhead DNA and if not found they get the axe. The fish are gone now. Little Rock Creek is next and the process has started there. (Most of little rock creek has been off limits and closed for years...including rerouting the PCT to avoid the water. The process has been done on the San Bernardino NF several fish holding drainages as well.

It looks like it was nice out. I'm still not a big fan of the hike to that spot. It's murder! lol

Beautiful footage. Glad to know the trout are hanging in there.

Quote Originally Posted by GhettoBasster View Post
    Beautiful footage. Glad to know the trout are hanging in there.
    You're pronouncing it wrong. They're called trouts!

Quote Originally Posted by Ifishtoolittle View Post
    You're pronouncing it wrong. They're called trouts!
    Lol! Trouts are on BABA where Leo the AsianGuy is.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast