Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crowley Lake Report for May 15-17

Default Crowley Lake Report for May 15-17

Headed up the 395 for the 2nd time this season for a 3 day trip to Crowley. Camped at French campground at Rock Creek, real nice campground! I was a little skeptical about the trip with the storm rolling in but decided to brave it anyways. Fishing was not hot by any means and the water temp was at 54 degrees. I threw everything in my boxes for nothing minnows, kastmasters, bouyants, and other spoons the fish just did not want to cooperate. I finally decided to try a few Tasmanian Devils with a bead behind them and that was the ticket. I found all my fish in Hilton trolling the buoy line at 4 colors. The fish seem to be sitting from 25 to 30 feet. Saw a lot of fish eating bugs up top as well so fly guys were doing great!! Unfortunately had to keep one bleeder this trip, it happens! Tight lines y'all.

Matt

Last edited by Matt44; 05-18-2015 at 10:42 PM.

Beautiful fish, thanks for sharing!

I love the close up shots matt ,were you using tazmanian devels....I think that's what they are called ..........

Thanks for the report ... nice to see a great comeback! I've got plenty of Taz's I'm waiting to try in a couple of weeks. I've hear that the secret is to take out that center wire and tie direct to the hook. But, also put a bead in there ... why that would make a difference piques my curiosity. Have no clue.

Taz's have sure become popular all over.

No bows or cutts?

Bob, I was using the Tasmanians the fish did not want anything else. Glad you like the close ups those browns sure did fight good this past weekend!

Billy I did not get any any bows this trip and haven't had a cutty all year I know they are stacked in upper Owens doing their thing! It was my first time trolling the Tasmanians and the line thru with bead was definitely the ticket!

Thanks for the update! All browns is kind of interesting but considering the weather that might actually make sense.

I remember when I use to do several Sierra trips a year, jealous.

Looks like the browns came out to play!! nice report and pics !!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt44 View Post
    Bob, I was using the Tasmanians the fish did not want anything else. Glad you like the close ups those browns sure did fight good this past weekend!

Billy I did not get any any bows this trip and haven't had a cutty all year I know they are stacked in upper Owens doing their thing! It was my first time trolling the Tasmanians and the line thru with bead was definitely the ticket!
    Hey Matt
    Sounds like you know more about trolling than I do. I have 15 leaded line and I was wondering about your words ... "I found all my fish in Hilton trolling the buoy line at 4 colors. The fish seem to be sitting from 25 to 30 feet."

My limited knowledge says that 4 colors should put me down at 20 feet ... don't know about heavier lures (Kastmaster ... S Spoons ... Countdown Raps ... etc) Am I hearing you right ... troll at about 20 feet deep for fish that are in 25-30 foot of water ... or are you saying that the bottom is at 25-30 feet and they're somewhere near bottom. Jus Czechin ... thanks MUCH for your help.

I was in 30 to 40 feet of water trolling around 20 to 25 feet. 4 and 5 colors was the ticket Billy!

Thanks for the helping hand. I just wanted to check. I've always heard 5 feet for each color.

Some have added, "A heavier lure or countdown type will go lower" Some have said that 18 lb leaded is better because it uses less colors to get down. Interesting that some have also said "Buy Rapala floaters to troll over the CD's. Does that make sense? Why not buy the CD which can also be used for casting ... and then adjust. I belive that they think they can control a floater better than a CD. Are your big Rapalas floaters or CD's ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast