Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: What size hook for small plastics?

Default What size hook for small plastics?

I love the little 4.5 inch Roboworm Curlytail worms, and I have been using them for a long time with a small Extra Wide Gap Hook (EWG), possibly a Gamakatsu, but I lost my last hook and I do not remember what size I was using on these small plastics. Would a size 2 be too big and kill the action? Maybe a size 4 ?

If you are buying them at a store grab a pack of the same size worms and hold them next to the hooks to see how they would match up. If you are ordering them online I suggest Gamakatsu offset G-look hooks, size 2. Thats what I caught this guy on with a 3" slugo.

I'd say a size 4 ewg or just nosehook with a size 2 gamakatsu dropshot or size 4 owner mosquito

I should have mentioned that I am hooking the worm "Texas style", and skin hooking the hook tip. Sometimes I flyline the bait, or else I'll put a tiny split shot at the worms head. Where I am fishing there are lots of underwater branches and sticks.. No open hook dropshot rigs here.

Check out the "Turned down eye Sproat hooks" on this chart as they are in true scale. Just hold up the plastic to see what fits your need. The Sproat hook would be my personal choice for fly lining or Texas rig small baits. http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/Content...zing_chart.pdf

I personally prefer #3, you'd be better off using a normal worm hook, flush with the worm, unlike an EWG.

I personally seem to have little luck with the curlytails for some reason, i do much better with straight-tails. Like I can catch lmb by crawling a curly, but i just do better with finesse techniques in FW.

I DO use the curlytails for baybass though, I'll use a 2/0 worm hook (not offset), and fish them like grubs. It does kill some of the action though.
    Last edited by smokehound; 05-25-2015 at 01:19 AM.