Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: El Capitan visit

Default El Capitan visit

Going camping in the canyon this weekend and I was looking for some suggestions on where the fish (halibut) might be. I have never fished in that area before.
    I am also bringing the kayak.
    Any helpful info would be appreciated.
    Tight lines,
    Dan

Just imagine where you would live if you were a halibut. A nice sandy spot next to a rock with plenty of food passing by for when you get hungry. Seriously.

im not a beach comber, I usually target structure or rather the sand surrounding structure. There are fish to be had along long stretches of sand but I don't seem to have the patience or confidence to cover large areas with no visible references.

ok let me be more clear then I was in my previous post. Since I am unfamiliar with the areaI up near Santa Barbara Gaviota El Capitan, I was seeking information on which would be a good beach to fish. As for finding the fish your welcome to share some productive areas in a pm with me otherwise I can figure that out. What i am seeking is some helpful information that can point me in solid directions not so I'm just going up there randomly pulling up not knowing where to go, I really appreciate it tight lines everybody.

The parking permit for El Cap is also good for Gaviota and Refugio so you should be able to fish all three state parks without paying additional fees. Check with the attendant at the kiosk. At El cap fish on the south side of the point. At Refugio I always did better fishing south too. Gaviota is a little different because the last time I was there the structure is kinda weird and there is a lot of kelp there especially at low tide. All three places always fished better at a higher tide when there was water on top of the structure. But to be honest it's been about five years since I've hit that area. So just use your knowledge and hit it when you have the chance to fish. Think of it as a camping trip with a fishing adventure attached to it. It's beautiful up there and the campgrounds within El Cap are nice. The Café there also has some unique food and as I remember it the Tri Tip sandwiches were very good. I hope the wind is not a serious issue for you since this storm front just moved in and typically there is always a lot of wind behind a low pressure system. Bring some perch gear as a back up plan since the halibut bite has been pretty slow in SB county.
    Expect good food, Fresh air, The warmth of a camp fire with beautiful sunsunrises/sunsets and Im sure it will be a great trip.

Have fun!

Killer, just what I was looking for. thanks Mike for the tips, I will Fish south sides and the wind is already blowing today I'm up here now. I did bring my perch gear just in case so that was a good suggestion as well. so I will give you a full report on Sunday when I get home thanks for the tips. I hope this wind could lay down though.
    tight lines downtown.
    Dan

all three spots mike was talking about can fish good if the water is a little warmer. Water is pretty cool right now so might be tough to find a bite on an LC. If you relly want to try for a butt, fish a drop shot fluke. Id say righ now your best luck is going to be with perch. Theres tons of good structure up there especially at refugio and capitan