Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: $100 Ocean bait casters, so many choices

Default $100 Ocean bait casters, so many choices

I have my eye on the Diawa Aird coastal, as far as the specs go it sounds perfect. I have also been considering the following:
    Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier/revolution
    Shimano Caenan
    Abu Orra
    Quantum accurist
    Pflueger Supreme

I like the Diawa Coastal because of the larger line capacity though 10-20yrds might not be that big a deal.
    I just want something that is simple but bullet proof. Shimano has always been my longest lasting reels but also the only brand I have spent more than $60 on.
    thoughts anyone?

I used my pro qualifier for spotted bay bass once and even though I hosed it off after the saltwater made it loid and not very smooth It still works ok but I'm never gonna use it in saltwater again

I had planned on getting the Diana Lexa 100 next which you can get for a pretty good price

OK, so here is the skinny from what I saw after a few hours of online research and visits to 2 local saltwater tackle shops.
    Diawa arid coastal is a good real but small only comes in a 100. The extra line capacity comes from a narrow spool. not good if you like consistent drag pressure. shimano reels don't have re-curve handles and felt funny in my hands until I got up to the curado.
    The remaining reels aren't made for salt and don't have a reputation for putting up with that kind of abuse, except...
    except the Abu Orra
    with 15lb drag and 180yrds 12lb (wench) It is definitely the best I looked at for $100.
    so being the patient and money conscious person I am I desided to order the Orra inshore for $150
    20lb drag and 7.1:1 gear was the deciding factor, it is supposed to have more corrosion resistant materials than the sx or wench also.
    Besides it just looks cooler than the other reels.

So I spent more money than I intended to on a toy I didn't really need... whats new?
    I can't wait to put the drag to the test on my Cabo trip at the end of the month

Lexia 100 is a nice reel too, I just needed something more beefy.

I like your choice, especially vs Lexa 100. I bought a Lexa 100 just cuz and I'm not impressed.

Yeah, the lexia 300 caught my eye until I saw the price tag, for $200-$250 there are many great 200/300 sized reels, like the lews inshore. Not a battle tested reel yet but looks good on paper and feels nice. Every time I think about a new reel I just keep saying "well for $50 more I can get that one, and for $50 more than that I could get a curado E..." lol. You have to stop somewhere but it always seems the reel you really want is just a little bit more than you want to spend, until you want the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by twin22s View Post
    Yeah, the lexia 300 caught my eye until I saw the price tag, for $200-$250 there are many great 200/300 sized reels, like the lews inshore. Not a battle tested reel yet but looks good on paper and feels nice. Every time I think about a new reel I just keep saying "well for $50 more I can get that one, and for $50 more than that I could get a curado E..." lol. You have to stop somewhere but it always seems the reel you really want is just a little bit more than you want to spend, until you want the next one.
    There's Lexa 300 & Curados on ebay for around $150. I love my Lexa 300! I caught mackerel, bass, yellowtail, & tunas on it and the drags are still good.