Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good News on ramp extension.

people are never happy! They have agreed to extend the ramp so we can launch and people are still complaining. If there is a cost increase so be it. I want to fish dammit!!

bent rod your right! but.........

I am still just a little bitter about how they treated the pass holders when they shut down the ramp!

No refund, no compromise, nothing! but you are right.

MWD is paying for this extension so there should not be any rate increases but I wouldn't hold my breathe on that....

Quote Originally Posted by gogreeenz4 View Post
    bent rod your right! but.........

I am still just a little bitter about how they treated the pass holders when they shut down the ramp!

No refund, no compromise, nothing! but you are right.

MWD is paying for this extension so there should not be any rate increases but I wouldn't hold my breathe on that....
    MWD is not paying for the ramp extension, we boater are! They make a profit every time someone launches there. I quit fishing DVL, except for club tournaments; because it just got too darn expensive

I signed a statement when I got my last pass to the effect that there would be no extension or refund on the pass if the ramp was closed. That was OK with me & I got my moneys worth even though there were a couple months left on it. If you didn't want to accept that, you should not have bought the pass.

I don't know how you figure MWD makes a profit with every launch. Guess I missed that in Econ 101. If the launch goes up some, so be it. Please continue to stay away. During the week it's like a private like as it is. Lot of "profit" for them there.

1. Be grateful you woke up this morning
    2. Be grateful you even have the freedom to fish
    3. Be grateful our lakes were built and stocked in Southern California with angling in mind
    4. Be grateful DVL built an extension TO BEGIN WITH otherwise we would have been out of ramp a LONG time ago.
    5. Be grateful MWD voted to extend the ramp
    6. Be grateful MWD didn't shut the lake down years ago!
    Last edited by Matt_Magnone; 05-19-2015 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    I signed a statement when I got my last pass to the effect that there would be no extension or refund on the pass if the ramp was closed. That was OK with me & I got my moneys worth even though there were a couple months left on it. If you didn't want to accept that, you should not have bought the pass.

I don't know how you figure MWD makes a profit with every launch. Guess I missed that in Econ 101. If the launch goes up some, so be it. Please continue to stay away. During the week it's like a private like as it is. Lot of "profit" for them there.
    I just really miss fishing there..plain and simple.

Well said Matt

I wonder what how much it translates to in vertical feet

Quote Originally Posted by inthroughtheocean View Post
    I wonder what how much it translates to in vertical feet
    You pose a good question and my guess would be a minimum 30 foot draw down based on current ramp construction standards and space below the ramp for construction equipment to operate. 14% grade is 14 feet of drop per 100 feet of ramp length.

The preferred launch ramp slope of 14% will allow the boat trailer to be in
    deep enough water to launch and retrieve from the trailer without the rear
    tires of the tow vehicle being in the water. Establishment of launch ramp
    slopes has been matched to the required depth needed to launch a typical
    trailerable boat from its trailer.
    It is desirable that the area under the trailer tongue should be above the
    waterline so the operator does not have to stand in the water to operate
    the boat trailer winch during launch or retrieval activities .
    Occasionally, local conditions will dictate that a grade slightly more or less
    from the preferred be used. To reduce the amount and cost of cut or fill
    material, launch ramp slopes have been modified to better fit the grade of
    the bank (within the allowable range). A small facility that caters to small
    fishing boats does quite well with a 12% to 13% launch ramp.
    The designer must use extreme caution when considering
    launch ramp slopes outside the accepted range of 12% to 15%. Potential
    safety hazards can occur in these situations. If the launch ramp
    slope is less than 12%, the tow vehicle and operator are subjected to immersion
    in water during launch and retrieval.
    6).
    Launch ramp slopes that exceed 15% may cause traction or vehicle
    /trailer handling issues.
    Last edited by DEVOREFLYER; 05-21-2015 at 09:29 AM.

diamond-valley-boat-ramp
    MWD Board authorizes extension of Diamond Valley Lake boat ramp 7
    BY SDFISH.COM EDITOR ON MAY 13, 2015 FRESHWATER FISHING NEWS

The Metropolitan Water District’s Board of Directors voted on Tuesday to authorize the extension of the boat ramp at Diamond Valley Lake. Due to low water, the boat ramp was closed on April 15th. MWD issued the following press release announcing the news.

Making the most of receding water levels at Southern California’s largest storage reservoir in the midst of the four-year statewide drought, Metropolitan Water District’s Board of Directors voted today to fully extend the boat ramp at Diamond Valley Lake.

The board authorized design and construction to lengthen by another 120 feet Diamond Valley Lake’s existing concrete boat ramp to its ultimate build-out elevation just above the reservoir’s bottom near the lake’s East Marina.

The less-than-half-full lake near Hemet in southwest Riverside County today offers visible evidence of the drought’s impacts on Southern California, particularly after Metropolitan temporarily suspended private boat launches in mid-April when lake levels dropped below the current launch ramp.

“If there is a positive side to the water challenges created by this historic drought, it’s that it has provided us with the opportunity to take advantage of low lake levels to complete the boat launch ramp,” said Metropolitan board Chairman Randy Record.

“Diamond Valley Lake has played an essential role in meeting the region’s water supply needs during the past four years. Southern California would be in a much more serious water supply situation today had it not been for the water that has been withdrawn from this lake,” Record added.

Water levels at the region’s largest lake are expected to recede by the end of the year to the lowest point since Metropolitan began filling DVL more than 15 years ago. Today, storage in Diamond Valley Lake is at 46 percent of capacity.

Nearly doubling the region’s surface water storage capacity when it was dedicated in 2000, Diamond Valley Lake has a storage capacity of 810,000 acre-feet of water, with a surface water elevation of 1,756 feet above sea level. Since the drought began in 2012, lake levels have dropped by nearly 100 feet. (An acre-foot of water is nearly 326,000 gallons, about the amount used by five to seven people in a year.)

Under today’s board action, the middle three launch lanes of the 11-lane ramp will be extended with cast-in-place concrete to an elevation of 1,640 feet. The end of the built-out ramp would correspond with lake levels of approximately 293,000 acre-feet. Diamond Valley currently holds about 372,000 acre-feet.

Final design of the extension is expected to be completed in July, with the completion of construction in November. The total estimated cost of extension is about $500,000, with all work completed by Metropolitan staff.

Diamond Valley Lake’s original 11-lane boat ramp in 2003 was partially extended a year later to 490 feet of ramp. In July 2009, Metropolitan’s board voted to extend the middle three lanes after low lake levels in the fall of 2008 first required Metropolitan to temporarily suspend public boat launches due to the drought. The lake—considered one of the premier fishing destinations in Southern California—reopened to private boat launches in December 2009 after the middle of the ramp was extended 250 feet to a total of 740 feet long.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast