Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Published DVL flathead catfish study

Well, from what I read, between the drawdowns, lake stratification and an abundance of apex predators Stripey and Flatheads, that lake is a pretty crowded place. Poor LMB/SMB and other smaller species of Black Bass and baitfish have a darn rough going...

Quote Originally Posted by shinbob View Post
    Kwin, Great stuff, very interesting, thanks for sharing!

So could it be the flatheads that are responsible for the LMB population declines that some on this board report? 7000 of them could gobble up a lot of forage. How does that compare to the estimated population of LMB in that lake? What other lakes in so cal have similar FCF populations?

Also, the size distribution graph is interesting -- if they can grow to such large sizes, and there is no significant predation or fishing pressure, why is the size distribution bell-shaped? What is keeping the population of really big ones down? And I assume on page 655 the mean weight of all tagged fish was 1.066 kg, not g?

Any other similar studies of so cal reservoirs exist or are planned?
    Yeah there are a few typo's that I corrected but missed by editors in the rush to get this to the printer...yes it's 1.096 kg. You'll notice the paper was submitted March 2 and accepted March 13, so only had 11 days with 2 field days and 4 days at Long Beach Fred Hall for me to get it to the editors for them to review thoroughly .......spilled milk at this point.

Not enough time has elapsed for there to be a whole lot of large fish. The water increase promoted a population explosion which resulted in a lot of 2-4 yr old fish...which is the asymptote of the bell shaped curve essentially. No other studies for FCF are planned right now.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Kwin,

While we love to see what the flatheads are doing at DVL, has there been a DFG study published to assess the predation rates that striped bass have on that fishery, and how that affects the populations for other game fish at the lake?
    No striped bass predation study in print. However, mostly anecdotal data and angler caught data suggests SB numbers crashed since 2010, average size has decreased since 2010 and their relative weights are poorer than 2010. Both FCF and SB compete with other gamefish species and predate upon them and their forage species and will affect their populations as the lake is only so big (and shrinking) and has a limited carrying capacity for all biomass.

Quote Originally Posted by kwin View Post
    Yeah there are a few typo's that I corrected but missed by editors in the rush to get this to the printer...yes it's 1.096 kg. You'll notice the paper was submitted March 2 and accepted March 13, so only had 11 days with 2 field days and 4 days at Long Beach Fred Hall for me to get it to the editors for them to review thoroughly .......spilled milk at this point.

Not enough time has elapsed for there to be a whole lot of large fish. The water increase promoted a population explosion which resulted in a lot of 2-4 yr old fish...which is the asymptote of the bell shaped curve essentially. No other studies for FCF are planned right now.
    Thanks! Makes sense. Bad news for the future as those medium sized fish grow bigger and even hungrier.

And yep, typos happen, I just wanted to understand if there wasn't some other significance to the decimal point (sorta like how Europeans reverse decimals and commas in their numbers)

Jeremy Wade sightings near the inlet

Good work, when can we start using Bluegill to target these guys?

Quote Originally Posted by shinbob View Post
    Kwin, Great stuff, very interesting, thanks for sharing!

So could it be the flatheads that are responsible for the LMB population declines that some on this board report? 7000 of them could gobble up a lot of forage. How does that compare to the estimated population of LMB in that lake? What other lakes in so cal have similar FCF populations?

Also, the size distribution graph is interesting -- if they can grow to such large sizes, and there is no significant predation or fishing pressure, why is the size distribution bell-shaped? What is keeping the population of really big ones down? And I assume on page 655 the mean weight of all tagged fish was 1.066 kg, not g?

Any other similar studies of so cal reservoirs exist or are planned?
    With the mean size being 35cm, 1.1kg sounds about right. If you look at HawgZWylde's pic the girth on that juvi- is at least 2lbs. I'm betting that if this population of flatheads are left unchecked we'll have quite a fishery in the next few years but at the cost of other fisheries. Oh well. Catfish taste better anyways.
    Last edited by Ifishtoolittle; 05-13-2015 at 11:34 PM.

be fishing cats soon cant wait.

Quote Originally Posted by jd View Post
    Good work, when can we start using Bluegill to target these guys?
    A couple anglers I know have shown me pics of some nice ones caught waking BG swimbaits. No live BG needed.

does anyone know any good spots to catch bluegill in the 4-6" range?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast