Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Big Bear smallies

Default Big Bear smallies

I want to take my buddy up to Big Bear next week so he can try to get his first smallmouth bass. Does anyone have any tips on where to start or what lures to use?

On another site a dude posted a report about a week and a half ago. He has a place up there and posts a lot of good reports. You know the rock islands with all the homes, he was fishing in the middle of all those secluded bays offshore, 20-30 feet of water. Put some nice 2-4 lbers up.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkbait View Post
    On another site a dude posted a report about a week and a half ago. He has a place up there and posts a lot of good reports. You know the rock islands with all the homes, he was fishing in the middle of all those secluded bays offshore, 20-30 feet of water. Put some nice 2-4 lbers up.
    Thanks for the info.

One of the main forage fish for the Smallmouth in Big Bear (and Arrowhead) is small freshwater sculpins. Use something dark in color that reassembles them, no more than 2-3 inches long fished along the bottom in slow jerks and hops..

Quote Originally Posted by fishmounter View Post
    One of the main forage fish for the Smallmouth in Big Bear (and Arrowhead) is small freshwater sculpins. Use something dark in color that reassembles them, no more than 2-3 inches long fished along the bottom in slow jerks and hops..
    I'm going up Wednesday and i'm bringing my entire tackle box. I'll post up how I do.

Went up to big bear Wednesday morning around 7am but couldn't get anything going. I had 1 trout on at the dam but it popped off. The wind showed up around 10am so we called it a day.

Anyone have any recent info on the lake? Planning on taking my daughters and nephew for trout fishing this Saturday. Most likely will rent a pontoon to make it more enjoyable for everyone. I would like to hear where some of the better spots are and what their hitting on. Thanks!

8. Default

if you are renting a boat I heard trout alley is where its at.