Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Pyramid lake

Default Pyramid lake

Im new to fishing and am going to take my dad to pyramid sunday for a late fathers day thing. Ive been there twice in the last month and got 2 baby stripers and 2 cats. Was wondering if i could get any tips, advise, pointers. Want him to have a good time catchin some fish. Previously used big hammers on the troll with no luck and cut frozen sardines just sitting. Thats when i caught. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Im getting addicted, time to start getting out more and picking some brains. Thanks!

I haven't even been to the Mid this year, but last year I had two reasonably good trips around this time. This'll likely be bad advice if you're looking for striper in particular but you noted "some fish".

First trip Small Carolina rigged curly tail baby blue-gil colored roboworms caught at least a dozen smallmouth mainly out the main launch cove near the first cove on the right's entrance and a few other spots. Fished a bit faster than I normally do and didn't have to wait to set. 2 striper in the early morning trolling a white jerkbait in the kayak no weight or leaded line, near launch ramp and along the shoreline and the adjacent point.

Next trip I went for striper only, which I am not good at. 2 more striper early morning on the jerk bait like before, same places and all. Missed with the topwater same spot, too easily excited. Chucked hammer swim baits on recommendation to no avail, must suck at it. 2 more pathetic striper and 3 or four nice smallmouth on a rapala jointed minnow fished right along the green mainly near the beach left hand side point on the inside of the launch cove. Took it faster than I'd fish it normally at first, but by mid-day it was at a crawl with little bursts/pauses if I remember correctly. 1 big cat on cut bait and I gave up trying to catch striper that way, I don't really enjoy bait fishing.

If I were to go now I'd troll the jerk bait real early in that spot, and then rig one rod jointed minnow and one small Carolina rig if I just wanted to catch whatever (which I would). I would feel confident I'd catch something, but others would likely give much better advice for killing it/striper if they respond.

thanks for the tips!!! im open to anything. fishing is new to me so i will try it all. thanks again coefficient13

if baiting is your thing=

Flyline sardine chunks down by the dam just inside the last cove on your left 30 to 70 feet of water,,JUST INSIDE OR OUTSIDE OF THE BOUY .

or over by beartrap cove,,,,The gate will have a lake map with names of the spots.

light line 4 or 6 ld test on a 4 or 6 hook

thanks trailblazer!! i do quite a bit of bait. still learning. am gonna troll also. heard big hammers are good so ill try that.