Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mayweather v. Pacquiao

Default Mayweather v. Pacquiao

So, did you actually pay for the match? I'd call it a "fight," but obviously with Mayweather up there, it became an intricate ballet instead of a 'fight,' but I don't understand why people are disappointed.

Although, the ones who are disappointed are 'once in a year' boxing fans who apparently expected a brawl to break out between these two boxers.

I thought it was pretty evident that Pacquiao could not outbox Mayweather, and Floyd wouldn't do anything stupid to risk getting KO'ed. I can't believe there were people who actually thought Pacquiao had a chance, and NOW, I hear some using the "Well 5 years ago it would've been different." And to think during the immediate post fight interview, Pacquiao actually thought he was winning the fight, then hours later, the excuses start rolling in.

I think the people who billed this as "the fight of the century," were more marketing execs, rather than actual boxing experts, but they did a good job of hyping something that everyone should've known could and would never live up to that hype.

Mayweather fought within the rules of boxing and came out the champ. In baseball you can win with small ball or with a team loaded up with steroid injected behemoth's to get the job done. Mayweather won fair and square. I'm not a fan of Mayweather but I really don't get why Pacquiao is so well liked.

I miss the one eared mighty Holyfield my favorite fighter. I'm glad he's coming out of retirement to fight that damn Republican basstard Romney. I've got it going the distance with a slight edge going to Holyfield, he will pull it out on the scorecards unless the judges are all a bunch of Mo's.

Tommy Hearns vs Marvin Haggler was a real fight from the first second of the first round. Watch a video of that sometime for what a brawl looks like.

I was rooting for Pacquiao simply because Mayweather is such a pompous idiot....I went to a party where the fight was purchased. We all had a great time. Its hard these days to get excited about a couple 145lb guys tapping each other with leather. My 8 year old is only 40 lbs lighter and almost as tall as both of them.

^ and probably whip there *** too!

All those people who said mayweather was just running around need to get there face slap, hes been doing that for a long time and thats just how the boxing way goes if they dont like it stop watching boxing but yet they still continue to spend there money on it. I was rooting for manny but i give floyd the credit he does what he does best and manny couldnt break the code

I respect your opinion. First off, I would never use the argument of a judges score card in Vegas. I have seen too many robbed fights, lets not get started on that topic. I do not take anything away from Mayweathers ability, he is an exceptional fighter with precision in his punches and one of the best defenses in the sport. However, what I am against is him proclaiming himself as the best ever? That is a joke. Sugar Ray Robinson, Muhammed Ali, Oscar De La Hoya, Cesar Chavez Sr all fought the best at their prime and never ran from their opponents, they had a an exciting come forward style and gave the crowd entertainment they deserved and paid for because its all about the fans, they are the ones who make it possible. You hit the subject of money, before Oscar De La Hoya gave Mayweather a chance to fight him, Mayweather was still fighting for free on HBO and he was Pretty Boy Floyd, after that he called himself Money Mayweather. De la hoya could have ducked him or Trinidad but he didn't. However, going back to the crowd being entertained. People were commenting here that it was a boring fight and the fans were upset that they did not see a showdown that explains why he only has 26 KOs in his record. To say that Manny did not bring it is ludacris because Manny was making a valiant effort to make it an exciting fight but everytime you hit Floyd with 2-3 combination punches he hugs or grabs the arms. It makes for a boring fight is all I am saying. If he wants to claim that he technically one, he can say that. That method of scoring works best in the amateurs or Olympic fights but not in the pros. Sadly, he will go down as one of the most skilled fighters in history who rarely engaged toe to toe with their opponents. Such as a epic fights between, Morales vs Barrera, Ali Frazier, ward vs Gatti, Corrales vs Castillo, Taylor vs Chavez the list goes on too bad we cant mention him in that category. He is an intellent business man/ promoter I will give him that.

It sounds like you are judging on entertainment value more than ability T-rex. I'd rather see a baseball game that had a bunch of home runs in it than a no hitter. I'd rather watch a football game that was high scoring than a defensive 10-7 masterpiece. ETC.........................................

Your sentence re: judging in Vegas almost makes it sound as if you might think this outcome was somehow wrong? Now I was smart (certainly smarter than Pacman) and I didn't purchase the fight. I use to get every boxing match I could then MMA became popular and I realized that one night of free MMA matches was WAY better than being worried that the main event of a boxing match might be over in the first round (purchased too many Tyson fights) or that the completely corrupt judging system would somehow taint the results. This match sent boxing backwards or at the very least was not the catalyst they were hoping for.

Not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T-rex View Post
    I respect your opinion. First off, I would never use the argument of a judges score card in Vegas. I have seen too many robbed fights, lets not get started on that topic. I do not take anything away from Mayweathers ability, he is an exceptional fighter with precision in his punches and one of the best defenses in the sport. However, what I am against is him proclaiming himself as the best ever? That is a joke. Sugar Ray Robinson, Muhammed Ali, Oscar De La Hoya, Cesar Chavez Sr all fought the best at their prime and never ran from their opponents, they had a an exciting come forward style and gave the crowd entertainment they deserved and paid for because its all about the fans, they are the ones who make it possible. You hit the subject of money, before Oscar De La Hoya gave Mayweather a chance to fight him, Mayweather was still fighting for free on HBO and he was Pretty Boy Floyd, after that he called himself Money Mayweather. De la hoya could have ducked him or Trinidad but he didn't. However, going back to the crowd being entertained. People were commenting here that it was a boring fight and the fans were upset that they did not see a showdown that explains why he only has 26 KOs in his record. To say that Manny did not bring it is ludacris because Manny was making a valiant effort to make it an exciting fight but everytime you hit Floyd with 2-3 combination punches he hugs or grabs the arms. It makes for a boring fight is all I am saying. If he wants to claim that he technically one, he can say that. That method of scoring works best in the amateurs or Olympic fights but not in the pros. Sadly, he will go down as one of the most skilled fighters in history who rarely engaged toe to toe with their opponents. Such as a epic fights between, Morales vs Barrera, Ali Frazier, ward vs Gatti, Corrales vs Castillo, Taylor vs Chavez the list goes on too bad we cant mention him in that category. He is an intellent business man/ promoter I will give him that.
    I think you are what Dana White is marketing to. And I get that. Some people would rather watch chess. Some would rather watch checkers.

And hey, it's all good. Like Seal said, he'd rather see a home run derby than a pitcher's duel. I'd rather see the opposite. If I wanted to see an offensive based boxing match, I'd watch MMA.

Or World Star's Fight Compilations, for that matter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast