Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Today 5/3/15 Played on the Bank

Default Today 5/3/15 Played on the Bank

Decided to check the lake out today from the dirt and just kept moving.

Water clarity stained at roughly 3' visibility. Was hoping for it to be a dirtier but whatever. The lake is going through the cycle it does every year approaching an algae bloom where the clear water gives way to the rad aqua blue color. With the lake dropping a little at a time, shallower bays and flats are starting to grow grass. Mostly 8-12" stuff. With the afternoon winds from the West, brush on the wind blown sides are starting to collect the grass and the fish are relating to it. Lots of 2.5-3 pound wolf pack fish running the bank I'm guessing on the Bluegill / Craw chew. Threw the buzz bait and frog for a while with fish just being a little nosey. Switched up to the blade and caught a couple fish. After the clouds lifted and the breeze switched I put the Gancraft 178 on. Lots of followers but nothing to commit. Not enough wind and wrong sun angle. Got spooked off a far spot by a rattlesnake so I cruised back. Watch your footing, back off and they won't mess with you.

For guys wanting to really stick them good. These cruising bass this time of year are always suckers for the Spinnerbait, darthead, and sight fishing them with the senko. Post Spawners are suckers for moving baits.
    Last edited by Matt_Magnone; 05-03-2015 at 10:39 PM.

Gahhh, my favorite time of year at DVL. Oh was I praying we would have a bloom before the lake closed. The turbidity of that Aqua blue water is blade heaven. I could throw a blade all freaking day and not touch another rod. That's two years in a row I've missed that bite. I spent the entire month of May and the beginning of June last year in and out of the hospital trying to get over some rare unidentified bug that resembled meningitis, but wasn't. They never were able to identify that one. My days of walkin' with the rattlers are long gone, used to hunt them in the hills above Temecula back in the 70's. Trust me, there is no shortage of Rattlers in this area.

Have they expanded the shore fishing boundaries since the ramp closure? Gonna rent a rat boat in a few weeks, hopefully the timing will coincide with that Aqua blue water. Thanks for posting Matt...

Thanks for the report Matt!