Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Balboa Pier, The Wedge, Cabrillo Pier

Default Balboa Pier, The Wedge, Cabrillo Pier

Intended to go out on a twilight boat tonight so hit up my home landing at Berth 55. Trip gets canceled so I call 22nd and they tell me it is a good bet that they will run tonight, trip gets canceled LOL. Later on in the evening I find out that Pierpoint Landing successfully launched a boat for that evening :/. Anyways you guys came for my report on the piers and bay. Cabrillo Pier/Boardwalk thingy had modest action on smelt but didn't see any mackerel around. Balboa pier is dead, nah da nothing. When I got there people in the morning told me they haven't had any luck all day. No body was landing anything except for the unlucky spider crab that happened to get caught. Saw countless guys pull up there crab nets with nothing in them. No seals no birds and empty buckets. Last resort I hit up The Wedge after somebody tipped me off that he was doing really hot until the police kicked him off because of the crazy *** weather. I arrived there and with strips of squid and peas I got from someone on the pier and was able to get consistent action. The current and most importantly the waves were a bit too high for my liking so I backed off after catching and releasing a modest amount.
    Last edited by MasterFisherYY; 05-03-2015 at 12:28 AM.

Good Job...I think....I don't know what you caught though...LOL

When I was fishing that pier like thing along Cabrillo I was able to catch a few smelt. On Balboa Pier nothing. Fishing near the Wedge on the breakwater facing either the open ocean and inside I was able to catch a mixture of perch and yellow fin croaker.

Howdy MasterFisherYY

Thank you for this report. Please keep posting up your sessions. They are much appreciated and good luck out there!

Nick

Thank you for the replies, I plan on returning back to Balboa today. I will definitely let you guys know if the bite has picked up!