Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Hey smokehound!

Default Hey smokehound!

I know you like insects, was deep in the high desert yesterday and seen millions of these things. I looked them up and think they are called Blister Beetles. They are toxic and cause blisters if you handle them, ever seen one?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BBB_1012.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	46182

Yes, there are dozens of different genera in the deserts. I do collect the larger species like iron cross blisters, or Inflated blister beetles (commonly called spider-beetles).

Despite the caustic oil, they're actually pretty docile and only release it when they feel threatened. I have a few Cysteodemus armatus and they never released their oil, they're more interested in nibbling on me :P

The species in your photo are Lytta magister, the genus contains the infamous 'Spanish-Fly'. :P

Thanks smoke that was very interesting info about those guys, never seen so many at one time.

So that specie ya say contains the infamous "Spanish-Fly". Old Pud I bet you could sell the GPS location for some playin' around money if ya get my drift....

Naw its my secret but did take a few home and they are drying in the sun right now. Might crush them in to powder and do some experimenting with the dust.

I dunno why cantharidin is marketed as an aphrodisiac for women.. considering it doesnt cause sexual arousal (but does sometimes cause priapism in men)..

I hope you're kidding, lol. If you ingest any of that, you'll die, and your family will have to look at your post-mortem boner.

Yeah I am kidding smoke I just cant help myself sometimes.

"Post-mortem boner" Ha ha! Hey not to change this very interesting topic of one of my favorites..bugs, I like your avatar Ted. I wonder how many of the FNN members can remember seeing that on their TVs late at night? Back when there was only about 7 television stations. Maybe the older ones like you and me..

That thing on the screen was called a "Test Pattern" and was on the TV most of the time. No late nite TV back then and I only remember 4 channels back then the 3 national and only one local. And of course you had to remember what a TV antenna and "Rabbit Ears" were. Cigarette ads on TV some proclaiming health benefits and of course TV dinners were the rage.