Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Tinnemaha Creek Opener

Default Tinnemaha Creek Opener

Headed up Friday mid-day w the wife and kids to Tinnemaha Campground. The back story is my wife's family has been going for years - decades actually. Her grandfather was the organizer of this annual tradition and he unfortunately passed around this time last year. This year we made the trek and met her family there to enjoy the creek, fish and also to install a memorial bench that the family had made (and Inyo County blessed).

Woke at 5 to hit the creek. Being the known family "diehard" fisherman I had 5 kids under the age of 10 on my coattails, lol. I spent most of the morning untangling, retying and baiting hooks, lol. There's lots of brush, trees and other things for the little ones to get into.

With no fish to show for our efforts, I finally had the last one toss in the towel around 9:30am and it was time for me to figure this thing out...and I did. I caught a couple on Powerbait and salmon eggs but the one-two punch of the day was Lip Ripperz Floating Dooies in orange/white and yellow/white fly lined on a light hook and under brush and other shadowy areas. I completed my limit and proceeded back to camp, grabbed the kids and put them all on fish for the rest of the day. It was a ton of fun!

Around 4pm the wind was just HOWLING and the wife gave me the look and said "do you want to go"? (You know the look, lol) I told her it was up to her. After the 3rd time her asking, I knew she was done so we pack it in and headed back to the IE. Although our trip was cut short a good time was had by all!

Last edited by Baja1ab; 04-27-2015 at 10:04 PM.

Way to keep the tradition alive. YES the wind was terrible. Sustained winds with gusts that would set a tent sailing.

Great report, thanks for sharing. Snow on the mountains does not look promising for late summer levels. I've always wanted to pull off and check out the campground and the creek. Congratulations on the success, the wind coming down the valley definitely sucks at times.

John

that's a great tradition,,,,,looks like everyone had fun ,,,,,,very nice report...............

Great daddy time ... they'll remember ... and remember

When does Tinnemaha open? I thought it was part of the early opener ...

Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    When does Tinnemaha open? I thought it was part of the early opener.
    I think the early opener is Independence south.

John
    Last edited by John Harper; 04-28-2015 at 07:32 PM.

My mea culpa ... I bet you're right. I was thinking it was south of BPine ...

Nice report.
    Glad to see you got the kids into some fish catching.
    I'm sure they'll want to come back.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I absolutely love it up there. We'll be making many more memories there I'm quite sure.