Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about surf fishing

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    5/8oz Kroc is a deadly bait slow rolled along the bottom for many game fish in the surf. My favorite color is the blue mack. The lucky craft 110 flash minnow is another deadly bait. Corbina are commonly caught on sand crabs if you can find them and spot fins love mussels. This is of course if you are not opposed to using bait.
    Ok thanks a bunch. One last question. Are there considered "good conditions" for surf fishing?
    Last edited by Lalalapotato; 04-28-2015 at 06:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lalalapotato View Post
    Ok thanks a bunch. One last question. Are there considered "good conditions" for surf fishing?
    I'd say clean water, moderate waves, No salad to speak of and structure meaning holes, trenches or rocks which provide a break in the current for the fish to stack up in and wait for meal. Fish will seek calm spots like the edge of rip currents for example commonly referred to as the "SEAM". I personally think a 3 ft tide level on the outgoing tide is optimal for multiple species.

The other thing to obviously look for is forage food for the fish you seek. Sand crab beds or baitfish in the water. Either by seeing the actual bait or birds crashing on the bait. Also rocky structure which almost always attracts baitfish and also has mussels attached to it which is good for many species.

About the kroc, do i have to change the stock hooks? If so, what size?

Quote Originally Posted by Lalalapotato View Post
    About the kroc, do i have to change the stock hooks? If so, what size?
    No need to swap out the stock hook but be forewarned.... Stock hooks on a Kroc rust real fast and I still have not found a long shank hook that is the exact replacement. Hence...make sure you keep a little bottle of water in your car when you get ready to leave and promptly wash off your lures and reels if you have enough water. I have found that it is real easy to get lazy by the time you get home and even a few hours of salt water sitting on your gear will start a significant corrosion process that can not be reversed once it sets in.

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    No need to swap out the stock hook but be forewarned.... Stock hooks on a Kroc rust real fast and I still have not found a long shank hook that is the exact replacement. Hence...make sure you keep a little bottle of water in your car when you get ready to leave and promptly wash off your lures and reels if you have enough water. I have found that it is real easy to get lazy by the time you get home and even a few hours of salt water sitting on your gear will start a significant corrosion process that can not be reversed once it sets in.
    OK. Thanks. I'll try not to get lazy after the session.

Hey La...Potato, U should go to 1 of Bill Varney's surf fish'n seminars. His 1st one this year is 5/16/15 @ Crystal Cove.
    Later, Homefish

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12