Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about surf fishing

Default Question about surf fishing

I'm new to this site and I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share some tips and good areas to start for surf perch. Not asking for honey holes. Just good areas to start. I've caught a few here and there, but nothing to brag about.
    Last edited by Lalalapotato; 04-27-2015 at 06:49 PM.

Well ...Before this question get moved from the reports section to the general salt water discussion section it would be helpful to tell us where you live and what beaches are the easiest for you to get to?

In advance I want to say though that the perch fishing has been very off this year because the water temps didn't drop like they used to due to the El Nino water temps and lack of sand crab beds. Hence ...There wasn't a great perch breeding season this year.

Oh...And let me say "Welcome to the FNN"...I'm looking forward to hearing about your adventures on the sand!

Mike
    Last edited by bones; 04-27-2015 at 07:22 PM.

Yea sorry i realized i put it in the wrong section to late. Anyways i live in LA County so OC and LA beaches are pretty accessible to me.

That's a whole lot of coastline...LOL
    What beaches have you been standing on in the last year or so? Pretty much perch are everywhere and not hard to catch if they are actually in the area. Have you tried to catch them before? If so what type of gear/bait did you use?

I've only been out twice LOL. I'm really new to surf fishing and I've only been to Newport and Huntington. I used a Carolina rig with gulp camo sandworms. Also I didn't see any sand crabs at either beach.
    Last edited by Lalalapotato; 04-27-2015 at 07:36 PM.

I don't know much about that area to be honest other than those beaches historically have not been the best perch beaches and with this dismal season Im sure it's even worse. The upside is that those beaches are better for halibut , corbina and spot fin croakers which are much better game fish over all. If I was you I'd target those species if the OC is your go to area. Trust me when I say that if you are tossing camo sand worms on a Carolina rig and not picking up perch they are not in the area or you have not found the holes/ rips that they are in. The secret is to walk until you find a hole they are in.
    Last edited by bones; 04-27-2015 at 08:07 PM.

Would a 5/8 oz crocodile work for those fish? Also thank you so much for your insight.

there is also alot of info here in "tips and tricks"section, and pasted links on "how to" in the surf fishing section. Best of luck to you in your pursuits!

Thank you for the info. I'll check it out. And sorry again that i put this in the wrong section. I'll try to use these tips the next time i head out which is this saturday.
    Last edited by Lalalapotato; 04-27-2015 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lalalapotato View Post
    Would a 5/8 oz crocodile work for those fish? Also thank you so much for your insight.
    5/8oz Kroc is a deadly bait slow rolled along the bottom for many game fish in the surf. My favorite color is the blue mack. The lucky craft 110 flash minnow is another deadly bait. Corbina are commonly caught on sand crabs if you can find them and spot fins love mussels. This is of course if you are not opposed to using bait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast