Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No more Tenkara posts?

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    I guess your somehow saying that each time you move you simple break down the telescopic rod
    That was the deal-breaker for me. And what do you do with all that line and leader? Put it on a separate spool. So if you've gotta carry a spool anyway, might as well mount it on the rod for convenience. And as long as you've got a spool mounted on the rod, might as well carry a little extra line for those special situations.

After all that, now you've got just a standard fly-fishing setup.

I looked into them and thought that the idea was to reduce the part count and charge more for it.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Canopy trees - Extremely long rod, trees overhanging creek, tenkara a good technique for that?

Telescopic rods - Most fly rods come with multiple pieces that break down to the same size or close to it. Small spinning 2 piece rods shouldn't be a big deal to carry for anybody with a backpack.

Hard to carry 6 -9 foot rods - Ok I just don't know how this makes sense since Tenkara rods are huge, I guess your somehow saying that each time you move you simple break down the telescopic rod but I'm not sure if you've ever carried a 7.5 ft 3 weight with you on a mountain creek or short spinning rod, I really don't have a problem with it but whatever.

Definition of hype
    Yeah, it just doesn't fit the conditions I've encountered. And I think you left out the biggest challenge that our local streams presents, and that is that the fish can spot you from a mile away. Since Tenkara is a 'close combat' type of situation, kinda like pitchin' and flippin' on the conventional end, it requires you to be placed near your target. If you get any where NEAR your target in the streams I fish, your target hauls butt upstream. I find myself making 25 foot casts often in order to not spook these stream fish. I don't think something like that is possible with a Tenkara outfit.

To each his own. If someone wants to wrap up their monofilament around a soda can and use a spark plug as a sinker, then more power to them; as long as they respect the sport, the environment and those around them who also share the resource, I could care less what the presentation is. Tenkara is just not for me.

They stopped posting Tenkara reports because all of their rod tips are now snapped off and hanging in trees at Lytle creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyler View Post
    They stopped posting Tenkara reports because all of their rod tips are now snapped off and hanging in trees at Lytle creek.
    Thats funny. And probably with 20 lb. test line on them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12