Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No more Tenkara posts?

Default No more Tenkara posts?

Seems like a couple years ago there were all kinds of Tenkara reports. I even considered trying it myself. Haven't seen any posts this year though. Was it just a passing fad?

Maybe it's because dapping is out of style?

Quote Originally Posted by P.A.W. View Post
    "Aw, **** it, I'm getting my 5wt!" LOL!

I looked into it, it seems like a technique that a lot of people love, but probably works best in very specialized circumstances, though. For me, I'd rather have my 9' 3wt with a furled leader -- I can still dap and fish close quarters, but can always cast more line if I want to get out to the head of a pool and don't want to spook every fish in it.

1. I don't think many of our streams have the type of canopy that would make Tenkara'ing (is that the verb?) not sufferable.

2. I don't think many of our streams have any water left.

3. As someone said, I'd rather have my 7'6" 3 weight for our local streams. Or my 9' 4/5wt for the larger ones on the Eastside.

It was a fad. Never made sense to me. What DarkShadow wrote, 3 weight much more logical.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    It was a fad. Never made sense to me.
    I won't go as far as calling it a fad, it was just an outfit for a specific technique that never gained any foothold with me simply because I could approach the same scenario with a "Western" styled outfit and accomplish more with that when the situation changes, which in fly fishing, occurs all the time.

I wouldnt call it a fad either. Just good for special circumstances. Canopy tree covered streams or slow moving water with the occasional pool it is great. Very stealthy technique. It is always good to carry both rigs. Tenkara rods are telescopic and shrink down to about 1 1/2 feet long. If you like to fish mountain streams it is hard to walk around brush with a 6 to 9 foot rod. Tenkara just fit in your pack or hand and go!
    Last edited by Hotbite909; 04-27-2015 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    I won't go as far as calling it a fad, it was just an outfit for a specific technique that never gained any foothold with me simply because I could approach the same scenario with a "Western" styled outfit and accomplish more with that when the situation changes, which in fly fishing, occurs all the time.
    I think it was hype being touted by a few that some swallowed hook line and no sinker. Watching the videos told me all I needed to know, looked like a Chinese fire drill trying to coral the fish and land them. Tankara USA was trying to make as much money as possible, that is why I called it a fad it came out of nowhere and it lasted a short while kind of the definition of a fad.

No intentions of defaming another individuals fishing choice but it really just was a very small niche in which the technique had any advantages or even close to being equal to any other creek fishing technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotbite909 View Post
    I wouldnt call it a fad either. Just good for special circumstances. Canopy tree covered streams or slow moving water with the occasional pool it is great. Very stealthy technique. It is always good to carry both rigs. Tenkara rods are telescopic and shrink down to about 1 1/2 feet long. If you like to fish mountain streams it is hard to walk around brush with a 6 to 9 foot rod. Tenkara just fit in your pack or hand and go!
    Canopy trees - Extremely long rod, trees overhanging creek, tenkara a good technique for that?

Telescopic rods - Most fly rods come with multiple pieces that break down to the same size or close to it. Small spinning 2 piece rods shouldn't be a big deal to carry for anybody with a backpack.

Hard to carry 6 -9 foot rods - Ok I just don't know how this makes sense since Tenkara rods are huge, I guess your somehow saying that each time you move you simple break down the telescopic rod but I'm not sure if you've ever carried a 7.5 ft 3 weight with you on a mountain creek or short spinning rod, I really don't have a problem with it but whatever.

Definition of hype
    Last edited by seal; 04-28-2015 at 06:14 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast