Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Visit to California - Newcomer Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_England View Post
    Thanks Dennis, I will take every bit of that advice. Where abouts can I obtain a day license please??
    I don't think ONE day licenses are sold anymore. I believe that a minimum of a three day license is sold now. A quick call to a local tackle shop in the Monterey area upon arrival should set you straight. Down here in the Los Angeles area I was amazed this year that my local sport Chalet and Big 5 no longer sold fishing licenses so I had to go to Bob Sands Fishing Tackle to obtain one. Most people purchase theirs online now. If I'm not mistaken the cost of a three day license is just about half of a whole year license. Somewhere around 25 dollars. I'm not really sure how things change for non residents though. I suggest you go online and look up a local tackle shop in the Monterey area and give them a call in order to answer your questions accurately. Be sure to tell them that you will be fishing the salt water because we have to enhance our licenses with an additional fee of a few dollars for the privilege to fish in the ocean. Not sure if that matters with the three day license though.

Did a little research for you (England) your best bet is to purchase a 10 day non-res. for $47.01 and an Ocean enhancement tag for $15.12. Then just renew the 10 day as much as you need. Never thought of it But Bones is correct about places to buy. Here in Seal Beach there are 3 Bait stores and none of them now sell Fishing Lic. Wal-Mart used to sell them however I have not bought on in California in a long time. A year long non res fishing lic. is approx. $150.00.

Quote Originally Posted by one long cast View Post
    Did a little research for you (England) your best bet is to purchase a 10 day non-res. for $47.01 and an Ocean enhancement tag for $15.12. Then just renew the 10 day as much as you need. Never thought of it But Bones is correct about places to buy. Here in Seal Beach there are 3 Bait stores and none of them now sell Fishing Lic. Wal-Mart used to sell them however I have not bought on in California in a long time. A year long non res fishing lic. is approx. $150.00.
    That's great information, thank you (thanks also to Mr Bones too). I'll call into a tackle shop, have a bot of a chat and see about acquiring a license from there.

OK guys, thanks for all your help, I'll be departing soon so my next post might be a catch report!!

Hello everybody

I am so sorry it has taken me so long to re-post on this thread that I started last year. I promised I would let you's know how I got on during my visit to the Golden State.

Basically, the missus and I had a FANTASTIC vacation. We flew into SFO, hired a Chevy Camero Convertable, took it Yosemite then back to the Pacific at Monterey Bay. Then we lazily made our way down to LA before dropping the car off in Sin City then jetting home via The Big Apple. Upon return to the UK, we discovered that she had fallen pregnant to our first little boy who is now safely with us (hence me forgetting to log back onto this site)

I only got the 1 chance to go fishing whilst I was on my vacation which was on Santa Barbara pier. What a lovely town Santa Barbara is! It was our favourite, quaintest town and it was some kind of market day whilst we was there with all the main street closed-off to motor vehicles. I tried my surface lures to no affect and ended up copying the guy next to me who was catching mackerel. I caught about a dozen and it was an enjoyable way of spending a May afternoon. I also recall there were sea-lions splashing about too, no doubt balling-up the mackerel. There we're a lot of hungry sea birds on the pier who were quite keen to deprive me of my catch, and also a resident Pelican too!

I have attached some photos of my day in Santa Barbara, and also some others from my trip which I will never forget.

Yours

Will
    ENGLAND - UK

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Day 1 USA Holiday - Sony Xperia (5).jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	48142Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Day 2 USA Holiday1 (23).jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	48143Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Day 2 USA Holiday1 (47).jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	48144Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Day 5 USA 2015 (26).jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	48145Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Day 6 USA  2015 (20).jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	48146Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Day 6 USA  2015 (43).jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	48147Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Day 6 USA  2015 (59).jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	48148Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Day 7 - USA Holiday 2015 (26).jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	48149Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Day 7 - USA Holiday 2015 (27).jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	48150Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Day 7 - USA Holiday 2015 (28).jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	48151Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Day 7 - USA Holiday 2015 (29).jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	48152Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Day 8 USA Holiday (42).jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	48153Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Day 9 - USA Holiday (137).jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	48154Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Day 14 USA 2015 (44).jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	48155Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Day 17 USA 2015 (94).jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	48156

congratulations and thanks for the report.

you simply must return and fish the coast with your son one day!

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by City Dad View Post
    congratulations and thanks for the report.

you simply must return and fish the coast with your son one day!

cheers
    Yes you're right City Dad. There would something satisfying about that, almost 'The circle of life' material!!

Thanks everyone for helping-out

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123